Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1795 Flowing Hair Liberty Cap One Cent Dectector Find

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 1,220Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
33 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2021  07:25 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Jashearer3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello - I was out detecting a field that I've had really good luck with (found many coppers including a Fugio) and I came across this coin. Can anyone give me any details on it? I know there are a handful of varieties. It has no writing that I can see along the edge as well.

My best guess is it's this one

https://www.PCGS.com/coinfacts/coin...edge-bn/1380

Based on visual grading from other examples I think it could be around 4-5?

Thoughts? I'm just excited for this coin and would love any additional details about it. Thanks in advance!

Valued Member
United States
443 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2021  08:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captaincoffee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Extremely cool find. There are plenty of early cent experts on here that can comment on various aspects of the coin, possible conservation, and any red flags, but looking at photograde, I think you are grading accurately.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59470 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2021  09:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This sort of thing is a real learning experience for many of us, so I'm standing by.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
Germany
1564 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2021  09:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GERMANICVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice!

!795 Liberty Cap Cent. From what I can see it is a variety S-76a or S-76b.

The difference is the thickness of the planchet. If you can see lettering around the edge you have a thick planchet S-76a which is quite rare. If you don't see
any lettering (thin planchet) then you have a S-76b. S-76b is the 1795 variety most often found.
Learn More...
United States
102162 Posts
United States
33 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2021  10:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jashearer3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I did not see writing along the edge but maybe it's worn away? (doubt it but it did come out of the ground) is there anything else that could differentiate the A and the B such as weight?

I read the A is 13.48 Grams B is 10.89 Grams I'm going to weigh it when I'm home to see if its near either of those numbers. I'll report back.

any idea value? I dont plan on selling it but i'd love to know what I have. Again going off visual examples of and the website I posted above my guess is 400-500 range if it falls within the 4-5 grade?

thanks for the information keep it coming!! love learning about this stuff.
Valued Member
206 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2021  10:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JohnH4444 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Even on super low grade examples the edge lettering is still visible, so if you don't see it it doesn't have it.
United States
33 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2021  10:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jashearer3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
makes sense, thank you
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
2145 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2021  11:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Seems like the cent has pretty good details on it - may consider getting it conserved.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5567 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2021  11:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wonderful find, congratulations! How about posting some of your other finds, like that Fugio cent?

Welcome to CCF!
United States
33 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2021  06:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jashearer3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd be more than happy to, should it be in a new topic? Or just here for sharing ?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
10889 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2021  07:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Please post one coin per post to avoid confusion.
Valued Member
United States
399 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2021  12:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IsThisAnything to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don't put that metal detector away yet, I'm on my way over!

In all seriousness, WOWZA!! That's incredible! What a fantastic find! I agree, we'd love to see more pictures of other finds, but as Jimmy says, one per thread. I certainly don't mind seeing several topics of this nature, even if they are all from one person!
Pillar of the Community
United States
8263 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2021  09:40 am  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
with Germanicvs most likely a Sheldon S-76 a or b. As to value? I think you are on the money, if it's not too porous from being buried. A lightly corrosion VG8 would go for at least $1200.00 see Chris McCawleys current VG8 Details example:

https://www.earlycents.com/?product...cent-coin-1c

Tom Deck has one closer to your example listed for $350.00
https://largecents.net/salecoin.php?LK103
Obviously a super clean example from Tom, that one wasn't out of the ground!

I'd love to see how your coin "cleans up" in conservation efforts.

Looking forward to seeing some of your other finds, especially the Fugio.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2˘ variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Edited by westcoin
05/23/2021 09:41 am
United States
33 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2021  06:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jashearer3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
im considering getting it graded, I know a lot of people are against it because its a waste of money but in my mind, I think it's worth it. I've never done it and id love to see something I found be professionally graded and I'm willing to spend a little to learn and see the process.

with that being said - assuming it's not too much $$$$ who would you go through and do they typically offer cleaning services too? Like many people, I've killed coins before trying to get details out. I've done little to nothing to this one and might keep it that way haha thoughts?

ill post some other finds today! thanks all
Pillar of the Community
United States
1160 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2021  09:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Glad to see you found it before a contractor's backhoe!
ANA member
PAN Member
BCCS Member

There are no problems only solutions - the late, great John Lennon
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 1,220Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05