Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1874 Half Dollar - See Anything Off?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 479Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2737 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2021  10:38 am Show Profile   Check BigSilver's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add BigSilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
https://www.ebay.com/itm/265130259813
I came across this half dollar on eBay and I was wondering if anyone sees anything off about it.
What makes me wonder most is the arrows. They seem to point downward and on every image I was able to find online the arrows point upward.
Your thoughts?
Disclaimer:
I know and trust the seller, so I don't think they are intentionally selling bad coins, but a good counterfeit can trick almost anyone.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59362 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2021  10:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sure looks genuine to me.
Valued Member
206 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2021  10:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JohnH4444 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks as real as it gets
Pillar of the Community
United States
3235 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2021  10:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice looking coin. There were 8 obverse dies used for 1874 Seated halves. Here's one that has arrows in a similar position.

https://coins.ha.com/itm/seated-hal...bnail-071515

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2737 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2021  11:53 am  Show Profile   Check BigSilver's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BigSilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks all.
@zurie while I agree that the arrows on the example you found do point downwards, that is definitely not the same die. The right arrow is in a different position altogether.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
10837 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2021  12:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sold for $1,381.66
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3441 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2021  12:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
But for the spot on the shield. That coin looks awesome
Pillar of the Community
United States
3235 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2021  12:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The right arrow is in a different position altogether.

I agree. I was just using that as an example of an obverse die where the arrows are not pointed upward. I'm sure there is another die pair that matches the eBay coin.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2737 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2021  12:25 pm  Show Profile   Check BigSilver's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BigSilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I agree. I was just using that as an example of an obverse die where the arrows are not pointed upward. I'm sure there is another die pair that matches the eBay coin.

I believe that I searched every coin on Heritage's website and found none that match. Is there any place where all the die varieties are listed with photos?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3415 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2021  1:32 pm  Show Profile   Check Tanman2001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Tanman2001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Is there any place where all the die varieties are listed with photos?

This is the reference I've seen most TPGs use for die varieties and marriages (WB):
https://archive.org/details/compgui...193/mode/2up

Quote:
Many marriages for large arrows are available but we have not made a serious effort to document them to date.

So no, from what I could find, not all the die varieties are documented.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3235 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2021  2:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's one that I think matches exactly. The eBay coin is on top.

Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 479Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.46 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05