Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

The New Ebay - They Have Problems

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 30 / Views: 1,696Next Topic
Page: of 2
CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
1001 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2021  07:08 am  Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I normally just post on the ancients board, but I saw this at the bottom of the page and thought I'd add my experience so far.

I was to switch so many times when the year first began and they kept extending the date. Then March came and it started, stopped for a few days as if nothing had happened, then fully started. Like anything you get used to it, there is a payout each night but not on the weekends.

The processing goes pretty fast but not on the weekends, so the payout Friday night you see Monday, the Payout Sunday night you see Tuesday but most of the weekend sales have not processed yet so you get like one days worth of sales, then most of the weekend sales and some of Monday you see Wednesday and Wednesday becomes the big payday for the week if you sell every day as I do.

Can you get around Managed Payments if you need to? I have had issues with an address from Washington to Canada as the person moved so I was able to charge the person with an invoice from PayPal then in EBay mark the item as paid no problem. So to me that means you can go around this if you need to and the system seems fine about it for exceptions like that.

The minuses have been talked about on this string by others, waiting for payments, shipping but not physically having the money yet etc, but to me the plus was they take out the eBay fees live in the processing. So no end of the month eBay charge which was hard to accept each month as you feel you are losing money even though it was part of the system. This way you never had the money at all, it is just gone from you and you never get to hold it a while. Oddly enough I found this easier to deal with. I am in the Top Rated Seller program and get the 10% off fees for accepting whatever eBay wants to do to my account so I don't make any waves and am in almost 20 years.

In closing the real general eBay plus is people who have the gene for ancient coins, rare in the population of coin collectors, often never stumble into ancients. So someone is searching through eBay for a Pegasus pin for the Kentucky Derby or whatever and writes me a note when they hit on my Q. Titius. 90 BC. AR Denarius coin asking how this ancient coin can be real and be listed for $1 start or whatever. Then a year later they are correcting me on the mintmark of an Imperial or officina of a Byzantine they get so far into the field. So eBay grows the population of those into ancients which is probably good for everyone in my field of coins.
Edited by louisvillekyshop
05/24/2021 07:14 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5011 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2021  08:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for those thoughtful comments.

On a more mundane level, I just completed my first transaction in the new system. Buyer purchased the item during day on Tuesday, and I got paid early this morning (less than 48 hr delay), and will ship today.

No big deal...

So far.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2356 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2021  11:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not liking this change at all. Item that was paid for on Memorial Day still is not posted into my checking account even though they state funds were supposed to be "available" today. An item paid very early yesterday morning is still "processing". With PayPal, my money was usually in my bank account within about 12 hours. It's looking like it is going to be 48-60 hours on average before I have my money with this new system.
CRH Nickeloholic. 1,300,000 nickels searched in five years! Already have found THREE complete Jefferson sets!
Edited by John77
06/02/2021 1:34 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3987 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2021  11:55 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
EBay ....becoming more irrelevant
With every messed up change .
Pillar of the Community
United States
2356 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2021  02:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

EBay ....becoming more irrelevant
With every messed up change .

So true.

An update on my personal (and likely others') dilemma... Memorial Day payment was posted to my account 6/3 - so three full business days... Payment received 6/1 is still not posted to my checking account and probably won't be until tomorrow (6/4).

So I've gone from typically having my money in my bank account within 12 hours of being paid to now waiting 60-72 hours after receiving payment. Not at all acceptable. As a result, I've had to change my global shipping preferences. I've always shipped my coins within one business day of receiving payment - that has now been changed to two business days thanks to this.
CRH Nickeloholic. 1,300,000 nickels searched in five years! Already have found THREE complete Jefferson sets!
Edited by John77
06/04/2021 03:31 am
Valued Member
United States
309 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2021  08:38 am  Show Profile   Check Singer's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Singer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My handling time on sold items is 1 business day. Under the current system, the buyer purchases and pays immediately through PayPal and the item is marked ready to ship. Can anyone confirm that Ebay marks the item as paid only when they receive the cleared payment? Or is it when they buyer hits the "Buy it Now".

I'm trying to determine when the clock starts ticking for the 1 day turn time.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3315 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2021  08:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
From the eBay seller center:

Handling time is measured in business days with the option for you to include Saturdays and/or Sundays if you ship on those days. The handling time clock begins when you receive payment from your buyer and ends when your carrier scans the package.

In the case of 1-day handling, your sold item needs to have an acceptance scan by the following day at 11:59:59 p.m. in your local time zone.

Valued Member
United States
309 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2021  10:23 am  Show Profile   Check Singer's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Singer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Zurie,

I appreciate this:

Quote:
From the eBay seller center:

Handling time is measured in business days with the option for you to include Saturdays and/or Sundays if you ship on those days. The handling time clock begins when you receive payment from your buyer and ends when your carrier scans the package.

In the case of 1-day handling, your sold item needs to have an acceptance scan by the following day at 11:59:59 p.m. in your local time zone.

This is more word salad from eBay. I'm trying to determine when the item is deemed as "paid" and ready to ship under the new MP system. Does eBay mark it ready to ship immediately upon buy it now or do they wait for the pending payment to be processed or completed? Under MP, I as the Seller would not be receiving the payment directly (as I do now through PayPal). It goes through the eBay "middleman" who then disburses it to me.

I'm not worried about when eBay deposits the net proceeds from the transaction into my account (although this is another topic for discussion). I suppose it will be a learning curve to see if I need to lengthen my handling time and whether or not doing so will impact my Top Rated Seller Status and the discounts associated with it.

Thanks again!

Pillar of the Community
United States
2356 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2021  12:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm trying to determine when the item is deemed as "paid" and ready to ship under the new MP system.

From my dealings, and according to eBay, the item is deemed as paid and ready to ship just as soon as the customer pays it as before. I have had three transactions so far under the new system and they've been marked "ready to ship" just as they were before as soon as the customer pays.

In other words, the only thing you're seeing different as a seller is that eBay is sitting on your money for a couple of business days before you can have it.
Edited by John77
06/04/2021 12:31 pm
Valued Member
United States
309 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2021  1:09 pm  Show Profile   Check Singer's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Singer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
From my dealings, and according to eBay, the item is deemed as paid and ready to ship just as soon as the customer pays it as before. I have had three transactions so far under the new system and they've been marked "ready to ship" just as they were before as soon as the customer pays.

In other words, the only thing you're seeing different as a seller is that eBay is sitting on your money for a couple of business days before you can have it.

Thanks, John77.

If that is the case, then I see no issue with meeting the shipping requirement and maintaining Top Rated Seller status.

"As soon as the customer pays" - maybe my lack of understanding is due to the fact that I only accept PayPal. Is this the way it works with credit card transactions as well? For instance, if a purchase is made through Buy It Now today and paid for with a credit card, is the transaction deemed "Ready to Ship" immediately or only once the Credit Card has been processed and approved which could be days later?

As for the issue of eBay holding the money for a few days, we can open up a discussion on another thread regarding the revenue Ebay will be making on the "float". It's got to be a tremendous amount of money.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2356 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2021  6:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

"As soon as the customer pays" - maybe my lack of understanding is due to the fact that I only accept PayPal. Is this the way it works with credit card transactions as well? For instance, if a purchase is made through Buy It Now today and paid for with a credit card, is the transaction deemed "Ready to Ship" immediately or only once the Credit Card has been processed and approved which could be days later?

I've just got a "basic" eBay account, whereas you have an eBay store, so maybe things work a little different for you than me. I honestly don't know. Maybe someone who knows the particulars of a basic vs. store account can chime in.
Valued Member
United States
309 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2021  6:36 pm  Show Profile   Check Singer's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Singer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, John77.

I do have a basic store subscription that does provide certain benefits which have been pretty goo so far.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2356 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2021  04:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So almost a month into this now and absolutely HATING it. Everything I've sold since the changeover has taken me a full three business days to receive my money. Really really frustrating.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3987 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2021  8:56 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
John , right there with you
Waiting for 2 Grand since Thursday!!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2344 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2021  9:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nfine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My question is, what is ebay doing with your money while you're waiting to be paid?
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 30 / Views: 1,696Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05