Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How To (Or Even If) To Clean A Gold Coin

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 594Next Topic  

United States
7 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2021  9:11 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add todaywastheday to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all, so last week we decided to try "treasure hunting" on the beach in Florida. I bought two metal detectors so we'd have something to play with and thought it would be a fun thing for the kids. I packed a few quarters to drop in the sand so the kids would find something.
The kids ran around with the detectors and then decided that playing in the water is more fun. So I tried the metal detector and did - what seems rather rate from what I read - find a Spanish Gold coin. It is an 8 Escudo coin minted in Lima in 1705 (I am not 100% sure about the 5). The coin must have been in the water for quite some time before ending up on the beach since it has somewhat of a coral crust in some areas.

Now, my coin collecting career started this Monday - and all I know is what you can find online in a couple of hours. I am trying to figure out if
a, I should clean it
b, if so, how
c, any general advice on what I should do with this - IE, should I get this graded etc.

For those wondering, I found it on a public beach high above the high tide line maybe 2 inches under the sand.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
61585 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2021  9:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

to the CCF!
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2021  9:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add todaywastheday to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Let's hope this works. Taking coin pictures and making them smaller is new for me too
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5070 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2021  9:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good first try, but would be better if you had photos with the whole coin.

From what I can see, you may have a replica, not a real coin (are you sure it is gold?)
Edited by tdziemia
06/02/2021 9:47 pm
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2021  10:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add todaywastheday to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No, I am not sure at all, but the coin does have the right weight. I have a hard time getting a full coin picture to come out clear. I think finding such a coin at the wreck beach is super rare - but wouldn't finding a replica with coral and stuff on it be even rarer?

Bedrock of the Community
United States
12014 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2021  02:23 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks a lot like "pirate treasure" replicas that have been posted here before, even recently. Same shape and everything. Links:

http://goccf.com/t/401228
http://goccf.com/t/179123
In Memory of Crazyb0 12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious 3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020

Oh that I was where I would be,
Then I would be where I am not,
Here I am where I must be,
Go where I would, I can not.
Edited by spruett001
06/03/2021 02:29 am
Learn More...
United States
20895 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2021  06:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@twtd, first welcome to CCF. Second, I agree that this looks like a modern repro pirate "coin". Before cleaning it though, you could take it to your local coin shop to have them assess the metal to see if it is actually gold or not.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

United States
7 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2021  07:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add todaywastheday to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
While of course I would prefer the coin to be real and I am biased; I am not yet convinced this is fake and certainly don't think it is a match to the ones from the other links.

I really do appreciate any input; but so far I still think it is gold. It doesn't come out too well, but all the dark spots are sand embedded in coral growth, the coin weighs 27g (kitchen scale) which pretty much matches 8 Escudos. Clearly I am no expert, but the material looks a lot like gold to me.

I now also googled "1705 8 Escudo Replica" and did not find a direct match.

Anything I can do to verify this is gold or not?
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2021  07:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add todaywastheday to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the coin shop idea - anything I should pay attention to when selecting one?
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2021  07:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add todaywastheday to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Update: I have now found some replica pics online that are a pretty close match
Edited by todaywastheday
06/03/2021 07:32 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5070 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2021  08:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

The old timers out here have seen a lot of these.
SOmetimes they are made of some other (base) metal, but made thicker to get close to the correct weight. Then plated to look like gold.
Or just made of something like brass.

Sorry

Edited by tdziemia
06/03/2021 08:44 am
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2021  08:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add todaywastheday to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well thanks everyone for your input and sending me off in the right direction. I was just able to use the chemistry labs scale at my kids school - and the weight came in at 29.37 g, so too heavy.
I also tried a "sound test" which also suggests it is not gold.

Still, not counting the sunburn on my neck, it made for a fun experience finding it, and then researching it. Shame I can't just change my username now ;-)

Thank you all
Learn More...
United States
104880 Posts
Learn More...
Australia
13852 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2021  8:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I think finding such a coin at the wreck beach is super rare - but wouldn't finding a replica with coral and stuff on it be even rarer?

It's not coral - it's corrosion. These replicas are made of pewter that is then plated with a golden or silvery-coloured coating. Salty sand will corrode one of these "coins" quite quickly. I'd expect a replica to show this much corrosion after about a month or two in the sand, perhaps less if it's been raining a lot.

Finding genuine "pirate gold" coins on a beach is very, very rare. That's because gold is very dense, compared to everything else likely to be in the sand. So any motion of the sand - from wind, waves, footprints, motor vehicles, etc - is likely to see a piece of gold fall down, rather than come up. A solid gold coin or ring dropped onto the sand will immediately fall through at least 5 cm of dry sand, and will only go deeper with time. A genuine gold coin dropped on a beach several hundred years ago would likely be under several metres of sand.

As for finding a replica on a beach, sure, it happens quite often. You went down to the beach to play a "find the treasure" game. Someone else a few months or years earlier did exactly the same thing, only instead of quarters, they used replica pirate coins. The original party never found your coin, but you did.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 594Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05