Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1895 Proof Coins With No Shine

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 546Next Topic  

United States
2 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2021  1:33 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add geminiguy90028 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have a question about Proof Coins. Is it possible that proof coins can lose shine and luster over the years, even if in a plastic protective holder? I saw a 1895 coin and read that only Proof coins were struck struck in Philadelphia for that year, but the uncirculated coin has no luster or shine.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
60763 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2021  1:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pretty hard to help without pics.

to the CCF!
Edited by Coinfrog
06/03/2021 1:38 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1183 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2021  2:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Yes. But at that point I believe they are considered "impaired". Still a proof though, and dependent on the overall eye appeal may not reduce the market value as much as you'd think. A photo of the one in question would prove highly useful in a more accurate answer.
ANA member
PAN Member
BCCS Member

There are no problems only solutions - the late, great John Lennon
Learn More...
United States
103793 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
11635 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2021  2:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF

As noted, always supply good photos of both sides of the coin when making inquiries.
This helps us help you.
Valued Member
United States
453 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2021  6:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captaincoffee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it depends on the coin. Proofs back then didn't have the mirror finish you see today, and combined with some good old toning, might produce a rather un-shiny coin in a picture. Here's a straight-graded PF64 Morgan from that year:

This is just a random coin I saw on eBay, but some other pictures with different lighting make this coin look much better. Proof liberty head nickels don't always photograph well to show shine/luster either.
Edited by captaincoffee
06/03/2021 6:18 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3087 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
60763 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2021  7:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Respectfully disagree with @captaincoffee. Proofs from this era typically had brilliant mirror finishes when struck.
Edited by Coinfrog
06/03/2021 8:40 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18972 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2021  8:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mirror field proof coins will loose their shine if they develop a heavy patina.
From my strictly personal point of view, I consider this to be a critical problem, especially with well struck DMPL coins (which also includes Morgans)

I feel reasonably certain, that in most cases, a bright white white DMPL Morgan in MS-65, would command a higher auction price than an equivalent DMPL Morgan in MS-65 that has a heavy patina.

That is why I always prefer modern silver proof coins in fresh, shiny, bright white, and the more valuable examples should be kept in an air-tight capsule to stop a patina from forming.
Bright white is the appearance they originally had, when they first left the coining press.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
18165 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2021  9:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the Forum.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9910 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2021  4:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Something else that has not been mentioned yet is only the 1895 Morgan dollar was issued proof only. All other denominations were business and proof strikes.
1883-O Nut
Edited by dave700x
06/11/2021 4:15 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 546Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05