Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Eisenhower Question.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 234Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
1115 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2021  8:55 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
When buying the San Francisco silver coins of 1973 through 1976, what's the easiest way to tell a silver clad from the silver (not the proof) based only on an image? The cupro-nickel seem easy enough. There are four S mints in a Whitman album for those three years.

Hard to weight them from a photo, 22.7 and 24.6 respectively.

Thanks in advance.
ANA member
PAN Member
BCCS Member

There's no problem only solutions - the late, great John Lennon
Learn More...
United States
100593 Posts
 Posted 06/08/2021  12:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
... what's the easiest way to tell a silver clad from the silver (not the proof) based only on an image?
Not sure what you are asking...

All silver Ikes are silver clad. They are 40% silver net, comprised of core that is 79% Copper - 21% Silver and cladding that is 80% Silver - 20% Copper. There are no 90% silver Ikes (not counting the 1990 and 2013 commemorative issues).

Only 1973 to 1976 San Francisco proof issues come in both cupro-nickel (Cu-Ni) clad and silver clad. It may be difficult to tell them apart by images because lighting, colour balance, and cameo presentation all affect perception.

The tissue test will work since the outer clad layers present as an 80% silver coin. You can also view the edge, where the silver clad has a core that is a darker grey as opposed to the red/brown copper core on Cu-Ni clad.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1914 Posts
 Posted 06/08/2021  3:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ratman4762 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
There are four S mints in a Whitman album for those three years.
There were no uncirculated "S" mint clad coins struck, only silver. So if you do the UNCs, that will take care of 3 of the holes (73, 74, 76 Type 1) if you can distinguish between unc & proof from photos. The 76 Type 2 doesn't exist in silver, you'll have to go clad proof on that one. ( I believe those are the 4 holes you are referring to). You could just buy them in the original brown or blue packaging to be sure. They can be had for near or below melt if you spend as much time on Ebay as I do.....
Learn More...
United States
100593 Posts
 Posted 06/08/2021  3:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
There were no uncirculated "S" mint clad coins struck, only silver.
To be clear, there were no uncirculated "S" mint cupro-nickel (CuNi) clad coins struck. All uncirculated (business strike) Ikes from San Francisco were struck on silver clad blanks. Well, there were some error strikes.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1115 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2021  9:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To clarify, I mean between the cu-ni and silver-clad. The silver clad proof should be easy enough since there's a cameo affect. But, after some thought, I think I'll fill the Whitman with Ike's from a few local coin shops. It will be a blast revisiting my youth filling boards with Lincoln's when that was the only source outside of an occasional found in circulation.
ANA member
PAN Member
BCCS Member

There's no problem only solutions - the late, great John Lennon
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17378 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2021  03:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The only ones you should have to worry about telling apart would be the proofs of 1973, 74 and 76 type 1. Any 71 or 72 S mint coin will be 40% silver Any 73, or 74 S mint business strike will be 40% silver (OK there are two known 73 S copper nickel clad coins) All 76 S Type II coins will be copper nickel clad proofs.

So how to tell the 73 74 amnd 76 type I proofs about from jst an image? I don't think it can be done conclusively.

Oh wait you say NOT the proofs that makes it easier. If they are business strike quality and they have an S mintmark they are 40% silver. All business strike quality S mint coins are 40% silver.
Gary Schmidt
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 234Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05