Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Best Way To Sell Old Coin Rolls?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 302Next Topic  

United States
32 Posts
 Posted 06/08/2021  5:52 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Grahama to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have some old coin rolls that I'd like to sell but not sure what's the best way to go about it. The rolls are unopened (the pennies) so I'm not sure if they are worth more in the original bank wrapping or if it's worth opening them up to see if I might discover a valuable coin hidden within the roll? Any thoughts?

Here's what I have.
5 rolls: 1959 D pennies
4 rolls: 1960 D pennies (small date)
2 rolls: 1960 D pennies (large date)
1 roll: 1960 P pennies (large date)
8 rolls: silver dimes

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2439 Posts
 Posted 06/08/2021  8:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OBW rolls will carry a premium, but the market is riddled with "OBW estate find must look GEM BU" rolls that's aren't OBW. Just shady sellers trying to make a buck, passing off already searched rolls as OBW, primarily on eBay.

If it were me, I'd open them and enjoy the search. There are varieties to search for in these. RPM's for the 59-D and 60-D Large, also have the small/large overdate on the 60-D lg. Also set aside any higher grades you may find.
Edited by Ty2020b
06/08/2021 8:38 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9623 Posts
 Posted 06/08/2021  10:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well said Ty2020b. If you get the required posts here you may do well in the New CCF Member Sales section.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Pillar of the Community
United States
1019 Posts
 Posted 06/08/2021  11:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add atticguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have to ask the usual question: If all the penny rolls are unopened, then how do you know what's in them?
I see all the rolls have been pencil marked, so that normally means they've been searched, then re-rolled.
Since the cents are all 1959-1960's, I'll assume the dimes are all Roosevelts? I hear that ALL silver is 'flowing' at my local coin shop, so it shouldn't be too difficult to unload them at a decent price.
Valued Member
United States
360 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2021  12:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IsThisAnything to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree. The silver is where your money is at.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15383 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2021  08:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You'll get the most from those rolls by putting them on e-bay . Make sure you know the prices before you do .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
United States
32 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2021  2:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Grahama to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the advise. Very helpful
Valued Member
United States
384 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2021  3:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Post the link here. Someone might be interested.
Learn More...
United States
100593 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2021  3:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Post the link here. Someone might be interested.
Ahem. Do not forget our Buy/Sell/Trade Rules.
Valued Member
United States
384 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2021  5:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Alright, sorry jbuck. Didn't mean to undermine that.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1053 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2021  09:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add machine20 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
agree with the ebay sentiment on the obw cent rolls. Sell them all together (buy-it-now for the best price if you don't mind waiting for a sale) and package them securely in a small flat rate box ($8)
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 302Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.29 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05