Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Newby Question On Serial Numbers

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 217Next Topic  

United States
10 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2021  10:35 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Tkklinner to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
New to note hunting. Usually I look for coins but I recently found an offset error on dollar bill and discovered the world of fancy serial numbers. I understand the major ones to look for but I have a question on collectible dates. I just want to know of I'm on the right track. The bill I have is not in good condition but the serial number is 17961797. Seems like it may be significant to somebody out there since Washington gave his farewell speech in 1796 and our 2nd President was inaugurated in 1797. There was also the the panic of 1796-1797. So my general question is am I on the right track?

I also uploaded the offset note, probably not of much value but a cool find for me anyways. Thank you all!!!

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58159 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2021  10:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, the first note would not qualify as "fancy", at least to me.

to the CCF!
Edited by Coinfrog
06/09/2021 10:44 pm
United States
10 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2021  10:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tkklinner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yea, not so much to me either. This helps me know how significant the number needs to be. Thank you for your input.
United States
30 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2021  01:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoolBreeze to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tkklinner, I don't think the note you found is an offset error. Offsets, even when light have a fairly clear image. The one here seems kind of muddled, which is usually a sign of being exposed to oils and other impurities. Fancy date serial numbers usually need to be MMDDYYYY format. However if you find two years together it needs to be a tombstone, or a president's term in office or something that connects the two years together in a significant way.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
39421 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2021  04:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Edited by John1
06/10/2021 04:45 am
United States
10 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2021  10:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tkklinner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, this is very useful information.
Valued Member
United States
415 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2021  8:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captaincoffee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Good luck hunting!
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 217Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05