Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1989 D Dime - DDR Candidate?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 130Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
97 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2021  11:26 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Bogiesmokes to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all ,

I believe that the 'R' is doubled in E Plu(R)ibus Unum, possibly other letters in that phrase, I'm thinking the I-B as well as UNUM? I'm less confident that the leaves on the right side of the torch have some doubling, but your opinions would be most welcome. Also curious about the small dot-like die chip, maybe doubling, or PMD on the branch above the potentially doubled 'R' referenced above.

Thanks for your expertise...

Edited by Bogiesmokes
06/10/2021 01:24 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
51647 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2021  09:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is die wear. The devices tend to show wear in the direction of the closest rim. If it were a doubled die, then all the devices would be affected the same. They are not. Note on the other side, of the EPU, you see the same thing, but in the opposite direction. These devices are moving to the right to the closest rim. Machine Doubling is also present on the right side devices. Sometimes this is die wear, other times it is hub wear. Thus a lot of quarters have a distorted motto issue on many years. The way you can tell if it is common, then all the coins will appear the same if it is a master hub issue. If it is a working die issue, you will see several examples, but on the pre 1990 coins, the mintmarks will be in different locations. Down the chain of command:

Note only one Master hub is created. So if something is wrong with it, all the coins will show the same thing.
Next step down. Master dies (2). So if there is doubling there on one master die, 50% of the coins will be affected.
Working hubs, if one is affected, many dies can show the same issue. But not all or a large part of the coin will be affected. So the issue can be total, or half of the coins affected or sections of the coins affected. Die variety collectors prefer single die doubled dies. Those are the more rare ones. And Proof doubled dies are even rarer as the amount of coins struck by them is 3,000. So the prices will be higher as there are less of these out there. But the common normal proof coins are less in demand for them. (Even graded prices show how low the values for these are)
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58159 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2021  09:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree this is not a DDR.
Valued Member
United States
97 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2021  09:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bogiesmokes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
(Expletive here :) Thanks for the thorough response Coop, learned alot there, and thanks for the confirmation Coinfrog...
  Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 130Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05