Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1976-D Half Dollar - Minor Clad Layer Issue (Obverse)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 413Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6358 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2021  7:51 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Here'a a 1976-D Kennedy half dollar I picked up awhile back with a minor clad layer missing issue on its obverse. It appears a ring of the CuNi layer is missing from Kennedy's portrait.

Here's a link to a far more serious clad layer missing error set in my collection:

- Bicentennial Clad Layer Missing Set

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6777 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2021  9:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The missing ring and discolouration is post mint damage ( PMD). No premium I'm afraid.
ša va bien aller

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6358 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2021  07:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The missing ring and discolouration is post mint damage ( PMD).

@merclover: Thanks for offering your thoughts. You're the first person who's looked at the coin to offer such an assessment. It's always good to have multiple eyes have a look!

Quote:
No premium I'm afraid.

No worries! I honestly couldn't care less. I didn't pay much for the coin when I bought it (a few dollars), and I didn't purchase it with the thought of numismatic premium or resale. To me, it's simply an interesting looking half dollar with a commemorative theme. A conversation starter! That's it!

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
956 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2021  10:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is a funny rhomboid missing clad. I can not pronounce with out a more close photo. It is possible to take two closer photos?: 1. From up 90 deg. and 2. from any 45 deg angle? Thanks.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53306 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2021  10:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
But the big question is: "Why is the strike stronger on that hair where the missing cladding is showing?" I feel this is a real missing clad. The color would be that color showing the copper layer. The weight should be reduced just a little. If it were peeled off the coin, the the hair would be more ghost like. Instead it is showing strength.

Note what the surface looks like if the clad layer is peeled off:

So I feel that the cladding was missing before the strike. Thus the full strike affect of the hair.

Note the full strike on the peeled area on this quarter below:

Note the area where it peeled before the strike is showing the void, but the folded area was fully struck.
pre/Post strike peeling:

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3209 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2021  10:56 pm  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not sure on this one. It could be a mint error, but I just don't know. Here's a PCGS graded dime with Improper (misspelled) Obv Cladding from my collection. There's also a small spot on the reverse rim just under the DI of dime.

ANA Member ID: 3203813 - CONECA Member ID: N-5637
"Shine, shine a Roosevelt dime. All the way to Baltimore and runnin' out of time." Tom Waits-Clap Hands

Pillar of the Community
Canada
956 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2021  11:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OH yes COOP and Yoko, you guys are wright. I ask the photo more close to see the borders of the clad because I find very interesting coin. It is a small clad missing with a very interesting point of missing clad.

It is a nice coin which maybe has a nice market value, but for me it is only the more close look to figure out the phenomena.

COOP nice explanation and I will take in consideration for future analyses, has logic on.

Yoko, I like your observe with the small missing clad. It is what I want to find out. those like the coin in the post and your seem to be a glad process failure.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6358 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2021  10:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@siliosi: Here is a pair of additional images, one directly over head, the other from an approximately 45-degree angle. Let me know if these work for you.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6358 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2021  10:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@coop: Thank you very much for the information and all of the images! I very much appreciate you taking your time to respond so thoroughly!

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53306 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2021  11:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's what I do. I feel it helps all to show what I see on a coin, so they can see it also.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
Canada
956 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2021  11:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry answer late. It is really interesting. I have no clue now how was produce. I find funny the meddle point. The borders show a missing clad with no doubt but why the point? I have to go to see what the mint used and if the planchet was not prepared by subs.

Anyways, it is a missing clad with an unusually form. I will say it is very interesting and nice coin.
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 413Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05