Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Commems Collection: Weakly Struck Bicentennial Half Dollar

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 321Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6120 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2021  1:42 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Here's another coin from my "Something's Missing" collection of US Bicentennial coinage - this one is a low net pressure strike that yields a coin with most of its design details missing - it is often called a Die Adjustment strike (as seen on its PCGS insert label).

Weak strikes such as the one seen on this Kennedy half dollar can be caused when a normally-functioning press is not calibrated to strike a planchet with the proper/needed pressure (a potential scenario during setup) or the coinage dies do not come close enough to the planchet to generate a fully-struck coin.

Mike Diamond, and other error coin experts, suggests that the relative availability of this type of error coin strongly suggests that few of those found in the marketplace are truly Die Adjustment strikes. He argues that such coins occur during a controlled process (e.g., press setup), are produced in limited number and are not part of the normal coining operation such that they could easily escape from the Mint. Instead, he believes an ad hoc equipment malfunction that prevents the dies from coming close enough together to properly strike the coin produces the bulk of these errors.

A great discussion of these error coins by Mike can be found here: Weak (Low Pressure) Strikes.

I tend to agree with Mike regarding the cause of most of these "Die Adjustment" coins. The numbers available seem to exceed what would expected if they were all from press operators making adjustments to the dies. It seems far more likely that the majority of coins in the marketplace result from equipment malfunctions that prevent the dies from coming close enough together to fully and properly strike the coin in question. A good number of such coins could be produced before the issue is detected and many could escape detection mixed in among the properly-struck coins.

Turning attention to my coin...I don't know what the PCGS grader was looking at when he/she graded my coin a MS-60, it's very clearly a MS-61+ example!

Kidding aside, I do think the coin was struck slightly off-center - check out how part of the "L" in "LIBERTY" is missing and how close "IN" from "IN GOD WE TRUST" is to the rim of the coin.

Here are links to a couple of other errors on Bicentennial coinage that I have:

- 1976 Bicentennial Ike Error
- 1986 Bicentennial Clad Layer Missing Errors

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Edited by commems
06/22/2021 7:11 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59449 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2021  3:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting, thanks for that.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4808 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2021  3:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If this particular coin hadn't been slabbed, and had just shown up on this forum under a 'what is this' topic, I wonder how many of us would have concluded ' Grease Filled Die'.
Edited by ijn1944
06/22/2021 3:24 pm
Learn More...
United States
102130 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
2316 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2021  4:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I wonder how many of us would have concluded ' Grease Filled Die'.

I'm wondering how to tell the difference between the two...
Collecting since 1972. Learning from then on
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin
My Dansco 7070 type set coin count: 31/76
My Dansco 8176 Eisenhower dollar Album coin count: 36/36, My Dansco 8166,8167 Kennedy half dollar Album coin count: 198/198
My Dansco 8140,8143-8147 Washington quarter Albums coin count: 423/423
My Dansco 8113,8114 Jefferson nickel Albums coin count: not sure yet
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7163 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2021  5:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks commems for another intriguing post - as always much appreciated.

Agreed with the comments on Grease Filled Die. How can an expert see the difference?
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6120 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2021  5:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I wonder how many of us would have concluded ' Grease Filled Die'.

Quote:
Agreed with the comments on Grease Filled Die. How can an expert see the difference?

The discussion at the link I provided above explains it all! Check it out!

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1759 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2021  8:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add southsav to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The discussion at the link I provided above explains it all! Check it out!

My thoughts also re grease filled. Went back and read the link twice, makes more sense now. A little more complicated to determine and understand the difference and reasons.

Thanks commems!
Edited by southsav
06/22/2021 8:47 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 321Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05