Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Seated Half Dollar 1861 O Csa Advice Need

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 350Next Topic  

United States
26 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2021  11:30 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Bchill27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I love the Seated Liberty half dollar series, and am now looking at buying an 1861 O CSA obverse, but I'm learning that there are several CSA varieties, and I want to make sure I don't buy a common coin, or over pay for the right one. Any tips here? I can't seem to find population reports for any of the CSA varieties, but the nose die crack one, so I'm sort of flying blind. Also, I have seen this coin (CSA Obverse) from the SS Republic shipwreck. Would any of you recommend pursuing or fleeing from shipwreck coins that are as rare as the CSA obverse?

Really, I will just be an information sponge here, as you all clearly know your stuff.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59393 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2021  1:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Try entering "1861-0 CSA half dollar" in the Search box above, get past the ads, and read past threads that have touched on this subject.

to the CCF!
United States
26 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2021  2:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bchill27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, Coin!!
Pillar of the Community
United States
704 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2021  2:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Heymikep to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a great resource on die marriages for Seated Liberty half dollars, they give you all the details of each die marriage and their rarity.
http://lsccweb.org/BillBugertBooks.php
Pillar of the Community
United States
3925 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2021  1:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ExoGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF, Bchill.

Over the years, this CSA issue has been among my favorites to cherry-pick at shows and auctions. The most expensive one is the die crack that extendes from the rim to the bridge of Liberty's nose. The other obverse to look for is a die crack that extends upward from the rim, grazing the 6 in the date, to the base of Liberty. The most common CSA variety to be found is the skewered olive on the reverse. There are some others, but these are the most often recognized.

If you search the CCF archives and eBay, you can view a few examples. I've made a few posts on these, myself.
Edited by ExoGuy
06/26/2021 1:56 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17433 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2021  04:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 1861-O halves were struck by the Union, the State of Louisiana, and the Confederacy. Not including the Confederate Reverse, they were made form 6 obv and six rev dies in 14 die marriages. The Union struck two marriages from one obv and two rev dies. Louisiana struck six marriages from 4 obv and 3 rev dies. The Confederacy struck 6 marriages from 4 obv and 3 rev dies.

This shows how the different dies were linked

If you want to know how to identify the dies go to the link Heymikep posted and download Vol the IV NO Part 2 book. 1861-O starts at page 460.
Gary Schmidt
Edited by Conder101
06/29/2021 04:51 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
3925 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2021  4:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ExoGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Conder .... This is an excellent reference work!
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 350Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05