Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1887 Half Crown - Help With Grade Please

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 326Next Topic  
Valued Member
Canada
196 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2021  7:33 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add flanders8008 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I took the pics through the 2x2 as I didn't want to risk anything. This has some very nice toning and great details but I am not very good with grading UK coins (or any coins for that matter with my old eyes!).
My questions are what is your opinion on grade, and if it looks good enough, would you recommend sending it for professional grading?
TIA

Valued Member
United States
448 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2021  9:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrwhatisit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Id put this gorgeous coin at an AU-55 approximately.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18740 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2021  9:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
EF (British grading)
1887 is the most common date to find this type in EF or above grades, because they were saved or hoarded to remember Victoria's Jubilee Year.

I have an example in good EF, and was attracted to it, because of the grade.
I do not consider my example good enough to be sent for grading. Prospective value not high enough to justify the grading and shipping fees.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1801 Posts
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2806 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2021  04:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
EF British and toned like my one (Except mine is gVF!!). There is more wear at the top of the shield and this is standard as it was an area of weak strike.

Victoria looks very bold and that is why this coin would be EF rather than VF.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 326Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05