Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Are These Coins Worth Anything More Then Face?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 572Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

Canada
1161 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2021  09:28 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I was looking at these coins on coins and Canada and it says in ms65+ are worth more then face. But there was like 1 million of the non coloured and 2m of the coloured minted. They are all newer coins so why does it say in good condition they are worth more?
I need to get coin protectors I think
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8539 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2021  09:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First, all prices are fictitious, they are just a ballpark figure, often a very large ballpark.
Secondly, prices there, and in catalogues, for uncirculated coins are prices for certified coins, if you pay $30 to $90 to have your coin graded then if you are lucky it may be worth almost the price indicated.
For the vast majority of recent coins, having them graded is a money losing proposition.
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Edited by DBM
07/01/2021 09:55 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
932 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2021  10:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add OspreyCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hard to truly see condition from the provided image but my guess would be worth face value.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1161 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2021  10:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Makes sense the prices I was looking at was for circulated coins. I think some of these coins would be ms65+ my favorite is the Bill Reid coloured toonie. I'll hold onto them in protectors for my son when he's older. I suppose the non coloured will be more rare since halve as many were minted. The coloured ones are very easily damaged, the colour scratches really easily.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3835 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2021  11:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The thing is that the "colored" ones become non-colored ones very easily. It's very easy to remove. I doubt very much if you would find any of those above 64, let alone 65+. Wishes don't make things happen and you can't sell a coin to a book, a guide, a website or anything else. It takes a person with a wallet. As you have posted the same coins in the next thread, you say that the bank pulled them from circulation, therefore MS-65+ is impossible. Maybe 63 is possible, but still face value.
Edited by okiecoiner
07/01/2021 11:26 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1161 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2021  11:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ya I figured they wouldn't be worth more. I was asking because if the pricing on coins and Canada because they are only a few years old and are in circulation. Mayb 20-30 years from now they will be worth something more. All my photos are taken from my phone and it's pretty old. Sorry for the poor quality all you big coin guys have specific lighting and scanners etc. Mayb one day I'll have some better equipment. And thanks for the input guys
Pillar of the Community
Canada
570 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2021  1:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add t_y to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
20-30 years? At the current inflation rate they will have to worth much more to cover your inicial "investment."

1996 Canadian planchet MS63 or 64 hardly justify the certification fee, and they are already 25 years old. Inflation rate accounted for, they would have to be sold today for at least $3.11 to cover original cost.

I am a twoonies collector and because of that I may have around 3000 coins (never counted) but I don't have an inventory of coins to sell - I have coins in my collection, no extras or accumulations, as I only keep stuff I think fits in.

And I collect for fun.

But that is my opinion.

(and for me, your pictures are fine - I have poor eyesight (reason to collect a big coin) so my pictures end up blurry, as I can't focus them)
Edited by t_y
07/01/2021 1:48 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1161 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2021  4:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ya I'm not intending on making money off coins more a hobby. I enjoy doing it. If I ever found a large bust quarter I'd hold onto it,but if I found a 1969 large date dime or 2000 mule or something I'd probably sell it but that's like 1/1000000000000 chance lol. I'm just trying to start a collection of coins for my son when he's older. That gives me a lot of time. These toonies and loonies are a fairly low mintage and imo very appealing looking coins. Especially the bill Reid ones. If there are 2 million coloured toonies and I kept these and maintained there current grade they would eventually mayb be worth more then face value. I don't have to get a coin certified to sell it, I wouldn't certify a coin that wasn't worth it but that dosnt mean these couldn't be worth 10$ on eBay or something 20 years from now lol. And it be up to my son to do what he wants with them. I don't pay anything above face value for anything I get so even if I sold something for 1$ above face it's a profit. Obviously not worth the time for me lol. Also as far as I can tell certification would cost like 30+$ probably more so there is really no point in certificates for cheaper coins.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1161 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2021  4:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Also these are montages of 1million and 2 million, 1/10the that of 97 toonie and like 1/100th that of the 1996 toonie.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1161 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2021  4:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry for the string of comments I'm doing research in between quickly. A better comparison would be the 1991 quarter. The non coloured toonies are minted a little over twice as many as the quarter and 1991 quarter in ms50 is priced at 4.50 and there is nothing special or different about it then other quarters other then mintage. I think these coins have much more appeal even at 2 million minted for the coloured ones jv very low. My guess is 20-30 years from now finding a ms50+ coloured coin will be super rare. But in reality it will be down to how sought after the coins are by collectors in the future. But either way dosnt hurt to put them away right:p?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
570 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2021  5:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add t_y to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In my opinion, no.

The number of collectors of other denominations is just huge when compared with those that collect twoonies - they are the ones driving interest/ prices. Compare the $2 2010 mule price with the prices of mules of any other denomination - just a small fraction. Another example: NFL coins - mintage wise, they are waaaaay rarer than Canadian, still, much cheaper.

You are also forgetting hoarders. There are individuals out there who amass a huge amount of coins of all denominations - by the boxes and boxes, not one coin or two. Best example is the 1991 25c: the prices declined a lot because one hoarder sold inventory a few years ago.

If a circulation coin in MS grade worth today face + 10%, odds are it will worth face + 10% when your son will be 60y/o. Circulation coins you get for face worth face. If you want him to have a coin collection, then collect for fun and share the fun with your kid, everything else is wishful thinking.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3835 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2021  6:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As DBM has stated above. Prices on CaC or Charlton or Trends are "fictitious", as are anything else in any book. You will only get a good indication of what something is worth by looking at the "sold" prices on EBay, not what someone is asking for it. You need an actual "selling" price and nothing you have mentioned about dreams or wishes is going to get you a profit over face. There just aren't enough collectors wanting the new stuff, unless a scarce variety.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1161 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2021  6:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's all I'mdoing. Iv never sold or tried to sell a coin, toonies are by far the newest coins in Canada since they have only been around for 25 years no one knows what years may be worth money in the future just as in the 1920s coin collectors wouldn't have know what years were going to be worth a crap ton today in mint states. All we really have to go off is mintage and appeal. So mayb one day my grand kids or great grand kids get a bunch of my coins and they are worth a small fortune, or mayb there worth 2 face value. Or just face value still. But irrelevant to all that, as I said I do only do this for fun. I'm pretty ADHD and something like looking through coins is a good way to fidget without just fidgeting lol. I think next in my roll hunting I'm going to try and find a coin for each year in the best condition I can find them in circulation. Also I come across so many set coins but don't usually keep them. Like all the Olympic coins and the provincial coins, I see them in great shape every day in rolls I go through. So mayb I'll put some other full sets together.
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 572Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.45 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05