Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is This A Complete List Of Varieties - $1 And $2?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 498Next Topic  
Valued Member
Canada
54 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2021  10:07 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Canadianpennyman to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm trying to expand my collecting to include varieties and this community has been very helpful. I'm attempting to put together a complete list of the circulation varieties I should be searching for (excluding varieties that were only in mint sets and those that are so rare or expensive that the average collector will never be able to get one). I would appreciate if this community could look at these lists and let me know if I'm missing any varieties or if there are any on these lists I should remove. Or if anyone has or knows of lists like this, please let me know.

Learn More...
Canada
9842 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2021  10:31 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Couple things for the nickel dollars:

1968 - all coins, except the No Island variety (over polished die), have the Doubled Horizon Line.
1968 - there are two Double Die Reverse types, the most extreme of which is the XWL type
1969 - SWL on the stern of the canoe
1975 - the detached jewel is only found on PL strikes
1978 - 6 different types, the no island type is the scarcest of them all
1982 Constitution - Small Jewel

And, 1974. tons of varieties!

"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
999 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2021  11:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JohnWayne007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you like minor to major doubled die varieties for circulaton strikes (which most of my listing are), mint sets and special mint sets, I'm adding the last photos into my catalogue and will be publishing it soon.

Those lists you have will become a lot longer for circulation strikes.
Aggressively searching Canadian Small Cents on a daily basis since 2018.

Some of my Discoveries.
1941 George VI 1 Cent DDO http://goccf.com/t/367977
1976 Queen Elizabeth II 1 Cent DDO http://goccf.com/t/373627
1970 Queen Elizabeth II 1 Cent DDR http://goccf.com/t/364301
1989 Belize 25 Cent's with a Doubled Die Reverse http://goccf.com/t/362747
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1448 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2021  12:00 pm  Show Profile   Check 47P7's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 47P7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Am not 100% sure, but are there not 1948 varieties?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
570 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2021  6:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add t_y to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Die cracks such as the ones you listed (cigar, pedestal/letter, dot under H) abound in ALL twoonie years. As an example, I have cigars in almost all years. I have about 10 different die cracks occurring in the 2006 Churchill and 2008 Quebec alone. The question is what is important or not for the collector.

The stuff in the catalog are the coins I had at hand during a TOREX show. They were pictured and became the "classic" varieties. There was a promise to review and complete the listing. (I still have the catalog coins with notes from the photographer and the cataloguer). The list was an opportunity, some coins made it, some didn't for odd reasons: 1996 mountain type 2 is not in the catalog because the example I had did not photographed well. Since then I found and/or receive notice of more than 100 "varieties"(die cracks) in the circulation set.

For me, the important coins I listed on a post in the other board. Yes, varieties are hard and some are expensive. Die cracks are common and cheap.

Just my opinion.
Edited by t_y
07/06/2021 6:43 pm
Canada
49 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2021  12:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mice45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@spp-ottawa 1975 - the detached jewel is only found on PL strikes
I am a bit confused. I've been hunting 1975 $1 DJ business strike for a while
because it is listed in the standard Charlton as well as in nickel dollar section in 67th ed. - 1975 obv.-002
spp-ottawa, what caused the change in your view of that variety?
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 498Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05