Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Commems Collection: 1934 Maryland Tercentenary - Amended Request

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 376Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6724 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2021  11:23 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
A commemorative coin for the 300th anniversary of the founding of the Province of Maryland was first proposed in the US Congress via a bill intorduced in the Senate on March 6, 1934. In a show of bipartisan collaboration, the bill was introduced by Senators Phillips Lee Goldsborough (R-MD) and Millard Evelyn Tydings (D-MD).

The bill called for 10,000 50-cent pieces of standard size, weight and composition to benefit the Maryland Tercentenary Commission. Upon its introduction, the bill was immediately referred to the Senate Committee on Banking and Currency. No Hearing on the coin proposal was held, but the Committee did quickly take action on the bill and issued a favorable report, without amendment, on March 13, 1934. The bill was considered and passed by the full Senate one week later.

The bill was then sent to the House where it was referred to the House Committee on Coinage, Weights, and Meaures. The House Committee also reported the bill out favorably, but only in conjunction with several recommendations for amendments. The most significant - and the one that impacts collectors the most - was the amendment that changed the coin's proposed mintage from 10,000 to 25,000. This change moved the coin from being a potentially sought-after key type within the series, to just "one in the crowd."

The House agreed with the Committee's recommendations, passing the amended bill on May 2, 1934. The updated bill was then sent to the Senate for its reconsideration. Just a day later, the Senate took up consideration of the amended bill and concurred in the changes made by the House. After that, the only remaining hurdle was approval by the president. On May 11, 1934, President Franklin Delano Roosevelt signed the bill into law and Maryland got its commemorative coin!

Side Note: The Maryland Tercentenary was the second commemorative coin bill to be signed by FDR; the Texas Independence Centennial half dollar bill was the first (Jun 15, 1933). The Arkansas Statehood Centennial (May 14, 1934) and the Boone Birth Bicentennial (May 26, 1934) coin bills were close behind the Maryland. Though approved second, the Maryland coins were struck before the Texas coins due to the Maryland coin's approval coming nearly half way through the anniversary year it was meant to celebrate - it was a more pressing matter (no pun intended).

After strong early sales amounting to approximately 15,000 coins at $1.00 each. Sales slowed dramatically in 1935, but the Commission was able to sell about 5,000 additional coins early in the year. Eventually, however, the Tercentenary Commission began to offer discounted pricing for its remaining coins, especially if purchased in bulk, in order to dispose of its inventory. Commission sales appear to have closed in April/May 1935.

In the end, all 25,000 coins struck were distributed into the marketplace; none were returned to the Mint to be melted. It seems clear that had the language in the original coinage bill been authorized, the Maryland half dollar would have been a quick sell out and a marketplace frenzy would have ensued with significant price escalation witnessed. The revised number, however, appears to have been just about ideal in terms of supply and demand, and a good model for future coin proposals.

1934 Tercentenary of Founding of the Province of Maryland Half Dollar

To learn more about the Maryland half dollar, check out:

- 1934 Maryland Tercentenary
- 1934 Maryland Tercentenary - Revisited
- 1934 Maryland Tercentenary - Hans Schuler
- Official Seals on US Commemorative Coins - Maryland
- Coins With Hats Thread - Maryland Tercentenary

For other of my posts about commemorative coins and medals (plus failed proposals!), see: Read More: Commems Collection.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
62696 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2021  11:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not an inspiring design to me, but appreciate your scholarship as always.
Pillar of the Community
United States
887 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2021  5:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Beefer518 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting that this had a chance to be in the realm of the Hudson, Hawaiian, and Spanish Trail.

Like Coinfrog, I found the coin to be uninspiring, but necessary, and for me was a difficult coin to find that I liked. Calvert's eyes look very different depending upon the direction of the lighting, and I passed on so many that I disliked the photo on, simply because of the look of the eyes. I got to the point where I settled on a 63, simply because the look of the eyes was acceptable to me. This caused the Maryland to be one of my least favorite in the series.

I only recently upgraded to a golden toned 65, and because of the color and evenness of the toning, I actually enjoy it.

Learn More...
United States
106270 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7335 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2021  05:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Concur with coin frog and beefer - the design of this example does not excite me.

I always appreciate you historical insights however commems, many thanks for haring.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 376Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.32 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: