Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Commems Collection: Medals With 1937 Roanoke Half Dollar Design

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 774Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6763 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2021  9:15 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
In addition to silver medals/rounds featuring the design of the 1892 World's Columbian Exposition - Christopher Columbus half dollar, I also keep an eye out for those that are based on the design of the 1937 Roanoke Colony Memorial half dollar. (See my thread about the Columbus pieces here: Columbus Medals.)

Here's a Roanoke piece that was found by an acquaintance who rescued it from a "junk box" because he thought I might be interested in it. I was, and we quickly made a deal based on the then-current silver spot price. (Note: Silver was south of $20 USD per ounce at the time.) As it was tossed in raw among other coins/medals/rounds, its surfaces are not pristine, but it looks fairly good in hand with solid obverse and reverse cameo contrast on its proof surfaces.

The piece incorporates the primary obverse and reverse design elements of the original coin. Its reverse is essentially a replica design including all graphic elements and inscriptions, while the obverse replaces "UNITED STATES OF AMERICA" and "HALF DOLLAR" with "COMMEMORATIVE .999 FINE SILVER" and " 1 TROY OUNCE" respectively. Otherwise, the graphic elements and inscriptions seen on the coin are present on the medal/round.

Though I'm not 100% certain, the piece does seem to be one of the series that was sold/marketed by Southern Coin Investments (SCI) of Atlanta, Georgia for a number of years back in the late 1990s/early-2000s. The collection was struck to mimic the entire classic US silver commemorative coin series. The SCI series did its best to parallel the actual coins. For example, it used silver weight as a proxy for denomination. So, the Isabella Quarter dollar was struck on a half-ounce planchet, all of the half dollars were struck on one-ounce planchets and the Lafayette dollar was struck on a two-ounce planchet. All were 0.999 fine silver.

To preserve the comparative rarity present in the original series, each silver round of the collection had a maximum mintage of 10% of the coin's net mintage. So, for the Roanoke shown, up to 2,900 pieces were available as the coin had a net mintage of 29,000. The silver round shown has a reeded edge with one smooth segment; within this segment is impressed "F0131." This suggests that 9,999 or fewer pieces were struck (or at least were planned to be struck) - this, in turn, fits nicely with a potential maximum mintage of 2,900.

I enjoy adding these non-coin supplements to my core collection - they add a bit of spice!

Silver Round Replica - 1937 Roanoke Colony Memorial

Original 1937 Roanoke Colony Memorial Half Dollar

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1975 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2021  9:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've never seen those special pieces. Will have to keep an eye out for them! Perhaps an affordable alternative to a full set of the classics - perhaps not.
"Nummi rari mira sunt, si sumptus ferre potes." - Christophorus filius Scotiae
Pillar of the Community
United States
2679 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2021  10:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, that's a nice coin. I like these older commeratives and not so much most of the newer ones. Sad that it banged around in that junk box. At least you were able to save it before it was too bad.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7343 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2021  05:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thats a fun example commems.

I was not aware of the SCI series, and will now be on the lookout for additional examples.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6763 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2021  07:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I like these older commeratives and not so much most of the newer ones. Sad that it banged around in that junk box. At least you were able to save it before it was too bad.

Just to make sure we're all on the same page, the "junk box" piece is not a coin, it's a silver round. It mimics the design of the 1937 commemorative coin, but it is a modern replica that was produced 60+ years later.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6763 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2021  07:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I've never seen those special pieces. Will have to keep an eye out for them!

Quote:
I was not aware of the SCI series, and will now be on the lookout for additional examples.

Oh, no! I'm giving away all of my secrets!

Pillar of the Community
United States
1975 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2021  10:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Learn More...
United States
106502 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7343 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2021  4:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Indeed - but consider as well that if I find any of these SCI examples you will be on my mind to contact to determine if the specific example fits into your tremendous collection.

So, in that regard you have expanded the number of eyes looking to support you. Which I say is a good thing.

Take care commems - great to have you sharing with us.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6763 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2021  6:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@nickelsearcher: Of course, I was just kidding with my comment. If I was worried about sharing secrets, I would have stopped posting long ago!

I appreciate the extra set of eyes out there! Thanks!

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6763 Posts
 Posted 08/27/2021  9:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Of course, its easy to see that this Dare County, NC - Cape Hatteras Lighthouse Centennial medal from 1970 doesn't replicate the full design of the 1937 Roanoke Colony Memorial half dollar, but, as soon as I saw its reverse, the classic commemorative coin came immediately to mind.

The medal was issued in 1970 by the Dare County and Cape Hatteras Lighthouse Centennial Inc. to mark the 100th anniversary of the county's creation and the completion of construction on the new Cape Hatteras Lighthouse. Dare County was created from portions of Currituck, Tyrrel and Hyde counties in 1870. Construction on the current Cape Hatteras lighthouse began in 1868 and was completed in December 1870. (Side Note: The first light at Cape Hatteras began operations in 1802.)

The Dare County - Cape Hatteras Lighthouse Centennial celebration kicked off on October 1 and held a parade on Saturday, October 3, 1970 in Manteo, NC; the celebration continued for a week. The NC Governor at the time, Bob Scott, attended the parade and participated by riding in a VIP car with W. Stanford White, Sr., the Chairman of the Dare County Commissioners and Centennial President. A big part of the week-long celebration was the historical play, Dare of Tarheelia, which ran for six nights at the outdoor Waterside Theater - the stage used for The Lost Colony play during the summer months. The play presented an overview of Dare County history that included touch points about Elinor Dare, her fellow colonists, NC'a Lords Proprietors, Blackbeard the pirate, the creation of Dare County, the Wright Brothers and scenes of circa-1970 life on NC's Outer Banks. Quite a scope!

The commemorative medal was struck in silver and bronze with an antique finish (I'm showing my silver example here). Its obverse features the Cape Hatteras lighthouse at its center, with the Wrights Brothers National Memorial to the viewer's left and, to the right, a sailing ship representative of the one that brought the Roanoke Colony's first settlers. The reverse design is dominated by the central figure of Elinor Dare holding the infant Virginia - the first child of English parentage born in the New World. The depiction of Elinor closely follows how she was presented on the 1937 Roanoke Colony half dollar by William Marks Simpson.

1970 Dare County - Cape Hatteras Lighthouse Centennial Medal

1937 Roanoke Colony Memorial Half Dollar

Edited by commems
08/27/2021 10:36 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1975 Posts
 Posted 08/27/2021  11:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They did a good job of tying in the Dare image and I like the sailing ship, too. Thanks for sharing another interesting medal on the subject.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6763 Posts
 Posted 08/30/2021  10:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Bump111: Thanks for checking in and offering your thoughts!

I agree, I think the medal's designer worked the various elements into a nice, balanced design. The reverse is definitely reminiscent of the 1937 coin, while the obverse reflects more of today's Dare County (circa 1970).

Learn More...
United States
106502 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6763 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2021  5:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Time for another Roanoke "look alike" medal!

In 1984, North Carolina began celebrating America's 400th Anniversary with events commemorating the initial voyage by Philip Amadas and Arthur Barlowe (under Sir Walter Raleigh's sponsorship) to scout potential locations for a New World colony; they explored what is today referred to as the Outer Banks of North Carolina. (NC would continue to celebrate the 400th anniversary theme through 1987 with a variety of events and even a few numismatic souvenirs.)

A small brass commemorative medal was released in 1984 as part of the first year of celebrations. Though crude in its execution, the medal largely followed the designs of the 1937 Roanoke Colony Memorial commemorative half dollar as created by William Marks Simpson.

The obverse of the medal depicts a left-facing portrait of Sir Walter Raleigh, encircled by a commemorative anniversary inscription and a "1984" date. At first glance, it appears that Elinor (modern: Eleanor) Dare is the central figure on the medal's reverse, shown cradling her baby Virginia in her arms. That might be the case, but the crudeness of the artwork makes it look to my eyes like Virginia is being held by her bearded father, Ananias Dare, rather than her mother, Elinor! The dual dates - "1587-1987" - are seen below the figure with very familiar commemorative inscriptions encircling it above (compare with the half dollar).

1984 Roanoke Island Commemorative Medal

1937 Roanoke Colony Memorial Half Dollar

I've posted several times about the Roanoke Colony Memorial half dollar, you can check the posts out via: Commems Collection.

Edited by commems
09/29/2021 5:14 pm
Learn More...
United States
106502 Posts
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 774Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.51 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: