Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

First Dot Coin IV Found. Dot Above Queen's Hair. Is This Considered An Erro

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 503Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

Canada
2110 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2021  12:48 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Got this 2008 nickel in my change today and noticed a small rim bur on the coin. Looking closer I noticed a dot, idk if it adds any value but first dot coin iv seen. Anyone know if it's worth holding onto? Sorry about the photo quality.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8625 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2021  1:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Die chip.
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2110 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2021  1:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The dot is a die chip? Like I know the rim bur is a die chip, wrong wording. But what about the dot above the queens hair? It's smooth like a dot not a chip
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2110 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2021  1:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Or are dots and die chips the same thing?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2110 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2021  1:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ahh reading up on dots and seems they are different e chips. So why do some dot coins have a premium?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8625 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2021  1:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Most dots are die chips.
The intentional dots like the '36dot coins fetch a premium because they are true varieties.
Others sell at a premium because collectors for some reason are attracted to fortuitously located die chips.
Yours is not one of the above.
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2110 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2021  1:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So just a spender? There is a whole bunch of die chips and die cracks etc for this specific year, idk why coins and Canada and other sites seperate dot and die chip errors as if they are a different variety of error.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4869 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2021  3:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is why minor chips, die cracks, doubling have very small following, if a site or someone list it, it does give these types of coins too much credit, almost all are just the result of modern high speed process. Here is another way to look at this nickel, even with a nice dot what would you be willing to pay in the open market
Pillar of the Community
Canada
593 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2021  4:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add t_y to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
TWoonies:

Rhino (or Horn): die crack
Dot under H: die crack
All cigars: die cracks
All pedestal: die cracks

Not varieties, just minor errors. Interesting but still minor.

Yes, I collect them.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2110 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2021  4:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks guys, that's good to know:) and ya I guess everything is based of the collectors and what they want vs the rarity of the error/variety. I know some minor errors like dots and die cracks etc can make a coin be worth 2-5$ over the face value but dosnt mean anyone will want it. This year seems like it has a lot of minor errors for the nickel so there is probably alot out there. But even if a coin is worth 2 it's face value I'm willing to hold onto it:) my collection of errors has to start somewhere lol.
Valued Member
Canada
141 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2021  4:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SP67 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Die Deterioration shows different form factor and can take different names as listed in previous posts.

Some of them are well located or more important in size, so some collectors will be ready to pay a small premium to get them, especially in Mint condition.
Edited by SP67
07/19/2021 4:32 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2110 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2021  4:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ya I looked more into it, much like with die cracks it can be big or small and in specific spots (cigars) etc brings a little premium, this is a very small die chip and dosnt look like it's in any kinda special place. I imagine on the right spot on the queen's face you would call it a moll lol, thanks guys. I still have alot to learn but I'm slowly getting there :)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4040 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2021  4:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There used to be a fellow on these coin sites that would find dots anywhere on any number of different coins, but primarily 1936 small cents. He finally stopped posting a few years ago because he got tired of being made fun of. If you know anything about metals, and steel in particular, chips and rust spots turn up all over and are very very common. I wouldn't waste time looking for them if I were you..
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2110 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2021  5:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ya iv swapped the way I look, only die chips and cracks worth saving would have to be pretty big and even then half a coin covered by a die chip wouldn't be worth to much. Now I look at the coins for minor doubling and errors I can catch with my naked eye. If something catches my eye I look at it with my microscope app. I rotate the coins to look for die rotations or for struck through errors. Die chips I'm starting to see alot more. And then I'm looking for high grade coins. Error or not to start a yearly album
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 503Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.37 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: