Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1893-O Morgan For Grading Please. (Edited For Better Pics)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 357Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
69 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2021  6:46 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Fr8K9 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Thanks for your help

Edited by Fr8K9
07/18/2021 8:51 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
60694 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2021  7:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say VF-30.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2291 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2021  7:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a tough date in all grades. It appears to be 1893-O VAM-4. That's encouraging, because there are several contemporary counterfeits for this date (VAMS 6, 7, 8, and 9).

Ignoring the details/straight grade discussion, IMHO the technical grade would be VF-25.

Two things make me pause. First, the color seems off. That could be lighting, or it could be retoning from an older cleaning. Second, there appears to be a fairly heavy gouge on the eagle's left wing (our visual right). If it isn't a gouge, and if the color looks more natural in hand, it would suggest that it might straight grade. If the color is correct in the pics and if the left wing has a gouge, I believe it would come in as VF Details.

Either way, 1893-O isn't an easy date, and almost any coin of this date and mint has a market.

Difficult date, and a nice coin.

EDIT: @Coinfrog, I agree, this one definitely could snag a 30. It's right on the bubble. Solid mid-VF, for sure.
Edited by fortcollins
07/18/2021 7:57 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2423 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2021  8:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It would be vf details to me but if not it would be a 30.
Valued Member
United States
69 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2021  8:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Fr8K9 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks guys.

@FortCollins, the odd color is bad lighting. I'm going to edit the post with some new pics. Unfortunately, that cut on the wing is indeed on the coin.

Interesting for me to learn what merits a details grade on these. All part of the learning curve. That's why I'm here!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4351 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2021  8:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fenton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VF-20 tops
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2933 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1771 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2021  11:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add southsav to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VF 20 - 25
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10527 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2021  08:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VF30 details
Pillar of the Community
United States
8340 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2021  11:23 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm in t VF30 or at least at VF25++ a really hard date to find. fortcollins I think the color is off or the wrong white balance was used when taking the photos, I've had some dollars that actually looked just like this in the past, no issues on them, but it's a strange look for sure.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Pillar of the Community
United States
772 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2021  10:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VF-25
Bedrock of the Community
United States
22764 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2021  2:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VF-30 straight grade.
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 357Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05