Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1895-S Morgan Grading Question

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 515Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
69 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2021  12:42 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Fr8K9 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
First of all what grade do the community experts think?

Secondly there is an old stain that looks to be from a "dollar" roll or paper that sat on top of the coin for some
time. I posted this four years ago and the opinions seemed to vary. Would this staining result in a details grade?

I'm going to send it in with the group anyway. Just curious what to expect.

Thanks.

Edited by Fr8K9
07/22/2021 12:49 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
61514 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2021  1:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Might make F-12. Is that rim damage at K5 on the reverse?
Valued Member
United States
69 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2021  1:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Fr8K9 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Coinfrog. No, that is not rim damage, just some dark staining/toning on the rim surface.

I figured F-12 looking at photo grade, but wasn't sure how that impression across Miss Liberty's forehead would figure into the equation.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
633 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2021  1:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TobyJ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is an F12 for me, no higher.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
61514 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2021  2:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To me, whatever's happened on the forehead blends in very well with the rest of the coin.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
22811 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2021  2:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
F-12 straight grade.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9950 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2021  4:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Put me down for straight grade F-12 as well.
1883-O Nut
Valued Member
United States
479 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2021  5:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sidekick-CA to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is that toning I see on the coin or just your photos? That anomaly at 5k on reverse sure is looking like a doink. OK to desaturate and upload for more clarity?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
61514 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2021  6:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OP says just dark at K5, why doubt?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7272 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2021  6:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely a well circulated coin with what appears to be original surfaces.

I defer to our pros on grade opinion - consensus so far is F12.

I say nice example as any 1895 dated Morgan is a treasured coin.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3081 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2021  6:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm on the fence between VG10 and F12. I'd give it an acetone bath in attempts to knock out the green on the reverse @ Eagles feet, TF, and branch.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4379 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2021  10:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fenton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree with Ty let's call it F-11.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10673 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2021  10:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
obverse VG10 reverse F12. split grade I typically go with obverse.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2554 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2021  11:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
F12 straight
Valued Member
United States
68 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2021  2:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RobertRansom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VG-8
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 515Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05