Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Constantine II, Alexandria, Hope I Got The ID Correct

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 335Next Topic  
CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
1001 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2021  9:08 pm Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I do not agree with the old tag.
CONSTANTINE II Follis 15mm, 1.69 g, Alexandria, "CONSTANTI NVS MAX AVG" 337 AD CONSTANTI NVS MAX AVG, laureate draped and cuirassed bust right / GLORIA EXERCITVS, two soldiers, each holding reversed spear and resting on shield, flanking a standard. RIC VIII 5; LRBC 1446.
From a past CNG listing I used to ID this coin:
"The use of the title MAX for the children of Constantine is unusual, appearing at only a few mints immediately after the death of Constantine I in 337."

Pillar of the Community
United States
996 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2021  01:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Biancasdad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting curlies in the hair.

I think this is actually RIC 13 as RIC 5 has "S-R" across the top field.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
72 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2021  06:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JohnConduitt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
RIC VII Alexandria 65 (Constantine I http://numismatics.org/ocre/id/ric.7.alex.65 ) and RIC VIII Alexandria 13 (Constantine II under Constantius II http://numismatics.org/ocre/id/ric.8.alex.13 ) are amazingly similar. I can't tell them apart. Is there a difference? There seems to be as much variation within each type as between them.
Edited by JohnConduitt
07/24/2021 1:30 pm
Valued Member
United States
488 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2021  09:40 am  Show Profile   Check Victor's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Victor to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I can't tell them apart. Is there a difference?

Constantine I is diademed and his sons are laureate.
CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
1001 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2021  11:19 am  Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Biancasdad:

Yes you have it perfect for the ID, thanks!

Victor:

I would not have thought to look at diademed vs laureate and that is very helpful to know!

In general... wow that image has such a feminine profile it really made me stop and look the coin up which I normally would have put with a lot of others and moved on. You never know what will come up each day and what you will be searching....
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 335Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05