Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Unknown Countermark On Gold Ottoman Coin

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 305Next Topic  
Germany
4 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2021  2:44 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Johann to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Ottoman Empire Mehmed V 500 kurush gold coin: 1327 Hijri (1910) reign year 4, Istanbul mint,gold .917, weight 36.08 g.
Countermark looks like combination of numbers and letters.
Can the countermark be identified ?
Thanks for helping.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
40780 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2021  8:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Learn More...
United States
103630 Posts
Learn More...
Australia
13809 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2021  6:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is a gold-seller's mark, indicating that this is not a genuine coin, but rather, a "jeweller's copy". It's still made of gold ,and thus worth its bullion content, but is of lesser interest to collectors since it is not a "real coin".

In the world-famous gold market of Dubai, selling fake/replica/imitation gold coins is legal, so long as the replica is made of actual gold and the seller has clearly marked the gold fineness on the replica. In this case, the fineness part of the countermark is on the left: either "21" or "22", written in Arabic numerals, indicating 21 or 22 karat gold. The two symbols on the right are letters, presumably the initials of the seller - looks like it might be the Arabic letters "K F", but I'm not sure.

These gold-sellers make their profit by selling "coins" that are either slightly underweight, or slightly less fine than the genuine coin. In this case, it depends on whether that fineness-mark is a "21" or a "22" - that second digit is kind of indistinct. I suspect it's a "21", making the coin slightly less fine: the genuine 500 kurush coins are 22 karat gold. But check the weight; it might be 22 k gold but slightly underweight.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Germany
4 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2021  1:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Johann to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the reply. I am aware of replicas of Ottoman coins. A friend of mine,a jeweler, always buys Ottoman coins assuming a priori they are 18 K.
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 305Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05