Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Something A Little Curious On This 1839 No Drapery Seated Liberty Half

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 341Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
308 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2021  5:06 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add hokiefan_82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I thought I'd share something I've been curious about for a while. I picked up a 1839 No Drapery Seated Liberty half dollar on a Heritage Auction in 2018, graded PCGS XF40. I remember receiving it and being happy with it, but when looking at it with light shining from the side I noticed something in the area the later-added drapery would be. My first thought was it was an altered coin, but the shape of the rock to the left of liberty was correct for a no-drapery half. And, it was graded by PCGS, and I can't imagine something like that would slip by them. The cert number checks out (in fact, my purchase shows up as the last auction appearance).

Anyways, here's a pic of the half straight on, and everything looks fine:

When I zoom in a bit, and hold at an angle with light shining from the side, I see a hint of something that at first glance looks like remnants of drapery:

Lastly, here's a pic of a "with drapery" half I have, just for reference:

Any thoughts of what I'm seeing there? Just a coincidental stray mark, a die irregularity, or just my imagination? Thanks!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
60672 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2021  5:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Possible die clash?
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
308 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2021  5:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hokiefan_82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, @coinfrog, I didn't even think about that. I'll see if I can make an overlay and see if that makes some sense.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2423 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2021  6:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think I see a clash too.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
308 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2021  8:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hokiefan_82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
After making an overlay using PCGS images of an uncirculated No Drapery half and playing with different rotations, I think you both may be correct, but I've not been able to completely convince myself yet . I'll dig mine back out and look at it in much closer detail, both obverse and reverse. If I notice anything else I'll make a follow-up post. Thanks!
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 341Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05