Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What's Wrong With Washington's Face (1952 Quarter)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 425Next Topic  

United States
9 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2021  4:34 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add spongbob to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Have jefferson coin I'mácureous as to remarks
Bedrock of the Community
United States
40814 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2021  4:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
. That is Washington. Looks like acid damage maybe?
PMD for sure.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
586 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2021  4:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add -makecents- to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Could be a Blow Hole but more than likely, someone took a torch to it, looks melted. A closeup would show us.
-makecents-
Learn More...
United States
20566 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2021  4:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@spong, that is actually George Washington's bust unless you have posted the wrong pic. I'll fix the title of your thread.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
60683 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2021  5:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Holy smoke! Torch is a good guess.
Edited by Coinfrog
07/29/2021 5:05 pm
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2021  5:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add spongbob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Trying bigger pic
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
586 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2021  5:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add -makecents- to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, I should have been more specific. A new, clear closer shot of the area in question, not a blown up pic of the original pic.
-makecents-
Pillar of the Community
United States
2423 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2021  7:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Damage of some sort.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3061 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2021  9:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

It doesn't look bent So I would rule out an intentional hit or punch to create that hole, So I will go with a torch or something like that to melt out the center.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6810 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2021  11:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Post Mint Damage ( PMD). Damage is damage, however done. It didn't leave the mint looking like that.
ša va bien aller

Bedrock of the Community
United States
40814 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2021  04:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Might be from a torch, but I would think there would be more of a "burnt look" to it. What does the other side look like?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
3061 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
2416 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2021  07:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm with John1 and Dearborn.

We need a clear image of both sides to rule out a slag inclusion or ragged perforation (@ error-ref.com).
Words of encouragement are one of the major food groups. We need to consume them regularly to thrive and grow.
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2021  11:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add spongbob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will try and do that given time and if I can lovate where I stashed it theres s sale going on here and I also have to work so ig and when il get tn e photo to yu but chockinh pics to 300 kbs is not going to to be about twice the size thanks for comments lol
Valued Member
United States
108 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2021  11:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pauley to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
someone showing how good they shoot with a 22?
Pillar of the Community
United States
711 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2021  04:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Minnimarine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wouldn't the quarter have burn marks from a torch? Could be a Bullseye coin. Troops out on the riffle range and down in the butts ( that's what they called where you raise and lower the targets) would place the coin dead center of the bullseye and raise the silhouette target. When the shooter usually at the 500 range in prone position hits the coin it would make a really awesome sound. They would lower the target, mark the hit with a round white marker for the score keeper, and pull the coin and give it to well the Marine that hit the coin qualifying for his expert badge and receive it as a trophy. Usually it's a round hole pushed out on the exit side and still might cause shattered pieces to fly off if the round started to tumble, or it was a torch PMD. Still worth telling the story of riffle range.
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 425Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05