Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Can Anyone Help Me With This 1984 Penny

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 616Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
16 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2021  2:53 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Shady83 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
12030 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2021  2:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Exactly what help would you like.
Unless I'm missing something, all I see is a
regular 1984 CENT with a stain on it.
United States
16 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2021  3:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Shady83 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's not a stain trust me
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
12030 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2021  3:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It's not a stain trust me

Then please tell what you think it is.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2554 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2021  3:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It does look like a stain unless you can elaborate for us.
Valued Member
United States
55 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2021  3:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Eagle_Eye to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi.
I see a potential clash in the tenth bay.
Looks like a S, but it could be just a stain.

There is a long scratch or die crack running from the rim between the T E of United and ending at the rim at the O of One.

A large reverse stain and an ugly fingerprint on the obverse.
That's what I see from your pictures.

EE
United States
16 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2021  3:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Shady83 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It doesn't peel or rub off.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1986 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2021  3:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jasper62 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It doesn't peel or rub off.

A stain does not peel off or rub off. That's why it's called a stain.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
61646 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2021  6:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Who's on first?
United States
16 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2021  6:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Shady83 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Okay so explain the "stain" I'm new to all this
Pillar of the Community
United States
2554 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2021  6:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I see a potential clash in the tenth bay.
Looks like a S, but it could be just a stain.

There is no s in the other side of the coin there so it cannot be a die clash.

Quote:
There is a long scratch or die crack running from the rim between the T E of United and ending at the rim at the O of One.

That is not a crack from what I can see. It looks like a PMD coin scratch.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54035 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2021  6:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Even soda and coffee can create a stain. It alters the color on the affected area. If doesn't remove the plating, just discolors the plating. The weak 'S' on States is common. Between having to strike up so much on metal on the obverse bust area of the shoulder, if the planchet is even the slightest amount short on metal it can leave those areas with thinner devices.

Common to see this on coins, so there is no premium for this. Note these weakened devices, but not the tops of these devices as they are full on the area. That is the area where less of the metal is not needed on that area of the strike up of the bust.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
07/30/2021 6:29 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3238 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2021  6:34 pm  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF!

Copper is a highly reactive metal. Any number of chemicals and substances can discolor and tone copper. Once it has toned, the surfaces can never be returned to original red copper color of an uncirculated strike. This coin may have had a soda or other caustic liquid come in contact with the reverse.
ANA Member ID: 3203813 - CONECA Member ID: N-5637
"Shine, shine a Roosevelt dime. All the way to Baltimore and runnin' out of time." Tom Waits-Clap Hands

Pillar of the Community
United States
7144 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2021  7:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Environmental or chemical stain on reverse and finger prints covering the obverse.
ša va bien aller

Valued Member
United States
152 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2021  9:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jonjrl1963 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
our pitcher is "today"
Valued Member
United States
55 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2021  01:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Eagle_Eye to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@OldFordMan
TruSt me, there is a S on the obverse.
If you look closer, the "scratch" runs under the T of united, which is actually on top as the device is incuse on the die so it can be raised on the coin.
A deep crack would show the crack on the T.

Read up on floating die clashes.

EE
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 616Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05