Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2021 Type 2 Missing Reed Edge

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 1,260Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
191 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2021  12:11 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add livingwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I carefully removed my 2021 proof silver eagle type 2 from the capsule and took a close up of the missing reed edge. I can't see anything else going on, no tiny etched lines, writing, etc. Maybe something's there I cannot see or something will be added later. The missing reed location varies left/right under the date. I'm not impressed as a security feature compared to what Canada and Britain are doing with their bullion. Also added a close up of my slabbed UNC.

Edited by livingwater
08/01/2021 9:30 pm
Valued Member
United States
442 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2021  1:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bzookaj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not a fan of it either. It just makes the coin look weird.
Valued Member
United States
276 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2021  6:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add carlp007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't understand how a missing reed could be a security feature. I wonder if the missing reed varies location due to the type of coin: proof, BU, or bullion. I need to do some research.
Edited by carlp007
08/01/2021 6:14 pm
Valued Member
United States
172 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2021  8:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Raised on rock to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My bullion and proof has the missing reed in the same location.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2554 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2021  10:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think that is too good of a security system.
Valued Member
United States
236 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2021  07:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Eagle4Life to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If the mint disclosed all of its security features, it wouldn't be much of a security feature, right? I also think the feather details would be hard to duplicate.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3289 Posts
Learn More...
United States
104611 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2021  4:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It makes it far easier to tell which end is down (when looking at the Obverse) (up for reverse)
A feature, not a bug.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11307 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2021  7:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If the mint disclosed all of its security features, it wouldn't be much of a security feature, right?

I suppose but shouldn't WE, the buyers/sellers also be able to determine easily what's genuine and what's not?
Valued Member
United States
191 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2021  11:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add livingwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another, this one from LCS. The missing reed is under the 0. Maybe I'm wrong, but wouldn't this be easy to fake with a moved missing reed? Counterfeiters won't need to be very precise in its location. It would be interesting to know if the Mint is keeping track of how often they move the missing reed area, how many struck. I hope this turns out to be a helpfull security feature rather than ineffective.

Edited by livingwater
08/04/2021 12:03 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
3289 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2021  08:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe that missing reed is in alignment with something else on the coin, either obverse or reverse that we don't know about that can be measured very accurately to ensure that the coin is real and not a counterfeit.

Say by using a straight edge, you align the missing reed (either side of it or centered on it?) with the 'E' in Liberty at the top and the imaginary line between the 2 points MUST correlate to or pass through a spot on the coin.
Well that is how I would do it instead of moving it around a tiny bit as shown by the images up above...
Edited by Dearborn
08/04/2021 09:09 am
Valued Member
United States
191 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2021  07:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add livingwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You might have an answer there, with that straight line. But it's still a weak security feature IMO.
Edited by livingwater
08/05/2021 07:35 am
Valued Member
United States
442 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2021  09:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bzookaj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
But it's still a weak security feature IMO.

It's a good thing they inserted those RFID chips as a backup.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1559 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2021  1:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My thought is it's more like a key of a sort, and if it don't fit for the year, then it's likely a fake and they will change the position of it from year to year so the counterfeiters will at least have to wait for it's release to learn the position, and then start a new fake off.

the reverse is also much stronger than the obverse. I'd think that has to be a security feature in itself and a pain to reproduce accurately unless you intended for that in the die designs. I think the notch is just there to slow them down, so they have to wait to find out where it will be placed, before they could move on to making fakes and trying to get the obverse and reverse right.

The AW initials would be hard to reproduce accurately, from what I can tell those on all coins are pretty darn exact they don't blob together on any I've seen.

Also I know the 500 Yen coin has a microprinted N in one of the 0's of the 500 on it, very tiny. there could be something like that on this coin somewhere in the design, in the eagle would be a nice place to hide it.

realistically though the fakes don't have to be good, they are still going to be made and someone somewhere is going to buy them.
Valued Member
United States
189 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2021  1:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Corbe to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
My thought is it's more like a key, and if it don't fit for the year, then it's likely a fake and they will change the position of it from year to year so the counterfeiters will at least have to wait for it's release to learn the position, and then start a new fake off (...) I think the notch is just there to slow them down, so they have to wait to find out where it will be placed, before they could move on to making fakes

I like this line of thought. Obviously we will find out in due time about that idea!
Valued Member
United States
191 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2021  4:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add livingwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So far in its early release there are already five different positions under 2021 as per pics. Maybe they will just keep rotating it all around the coin in coming years, who knows.
Edited by livingwater
08/05/2021 4:17 pm
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 1,260Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05