Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1963 Lincoln Cent Flip Over Strike ?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 614Next Topic
Page: of 2
United States
13 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2021  1:49 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add RarelyCoincident to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello ! new to the community . Amateur Numismatist . I have a lifetime of learning to do . so many coins to post . but id like to start here . Thanks in Advance for your patience, as I navigate through proper procedure .

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
61763 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2021  2:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Guessing this was produced using a vise after the coin left the mint.

to the CCF!
Edited by Coinfrog
08/01/2021 2:03 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3553 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2021  2:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF. But, we would really like to see photos of the whole coin. Front and back.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
9365 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2021  2:06 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Rarelycoincident and

It would be helpful if you could post complete photos of each side of the coin.

To me this looks like a 'vice job', where someone has squeezed a coin in between two others. The extra details and date are reversed and incuse. If it had been struck twice at the mint, they would be raised and not reversed. I believe this is post-strike damage.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2567 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2021  2:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like another 63 was put on this one and slammed with a hammer.
United States
13 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2021  2:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RarelyCoincident to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
entire coin in frame as requested .

United States
13 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2021  2:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RarelyCoincident to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i can see why in the picture at a glance , damage is the most relevant answer. the coin is in relatively good shape , showing no other extreme wear besides the raised areas that see normal wear. there is a Cub to the right of the 3 in the intended strike date. something is struck into the coin on Abe's collar. the rim is very intact for its circulated age.
IS IT ME, OR DOES THE "WE" LOOK WONKY ?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2567 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2021  2:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Probably just a hit on the we.
Valued Member
United States
432 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2021  2:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cujohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Classic vice job.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3238 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2021  2:38 pm  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF!

Someone tried to fake an error. They pressed this coin between two other coins to transfer part of the design to this coin. The main clue here is the reverse date. If it were struck twice, the date wouldn't be reversed like this.

The low E in the word WE is just part of the design. It varies in just how noticeable it is from year to year of the Lincoln cent series.

ANA Member ID: 3203813 - CONECA Member ID: N-5637
"Shine, shine a Roosevelt dime. All the way to Baltimore and runnin' out of time." Tom Waits-Clap Hands

United States
13 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2021  2:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RarelyCoincident to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
THANKS FOR CLARIFYING . IN MY DREAMS I JUST IMAGINED ANOTHER COIN COME IN CONTACT IN THE MINT PROCESS. FOUND IN A 23 YEAR OLD ROLL THAT INCLUDED BRAND NEW 97,98 LincolnS AS WELL.
Valued Member
United States
410 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2021  4:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IsThisAnything to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
THANKS FOR CLARIFYING . IN MY DREAMS I JUST IMAGINED ANOTHER COIN COME IN CONTACT IN THE MINT PROCESS. FOUND IN A 23 YEAR OLD ROLL THAT INCLUDED BRAND NEW 97,98 LincolnS AS WELL.

What a fresh reminder of how old I am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10000 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2021  5:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1963 is backwards (reversed) above LIBERTY. Vice job with two 1963 Lincoln Cents.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Edited by TNG
08/01/2021 5:16 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
61763 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2021  5:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely a vise job, not sure the vice squad handles this sort of thing.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3413 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2021  6:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Another thing to more on the reversed date is that it is incused (pressed into the coin, not raised. The fact that it reversed is enough to know that someone manufactured this 'error'.

If the coin in the press did flip over or rotate and was pressed again, the second date would be raised like the original date.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4182 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2021  7:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PMD junk.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 614Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05