Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1714 Coin-Cant Seem To Find Info On This-Please Help!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 457Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
148 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2021  4:22 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Mikeyworms to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Picked up @ estate but cant seem to find anything on it. Please help! Is It France/Spanish? What is the Minted? How would I value It since I cant find any info on it?
I Paid $50 which I thought was a Good price. Thanks so Much as usual!!

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2192 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2021  4:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add t360 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1774, Silver Ecu of France, old bust of Louis XV. Looks like "Q" mintmark, which indicates Perpignan mint
Edited by t360
08/01/2021 4:34 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2192 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2021  4:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add t360 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is one for sale at cgb.fr. The 1774-Q had a mintage of over half a million and is more common than the 1771-Q.
Edited by t360
08/01/2021 4:37 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5139 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2021  7:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a pretty good score.
Here is a recent eBay sale. Slightly higher grade, and I can't tell from photos if yours has been cleaned, but I think you did well.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/174757595124
Pillar of the Community
United States
4197 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2021  7:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If this was a US coin from 18th century, I would say it looks like it had adjustment marks. I have no idea if the country of issue used adjustment marks, if not, then there's some serious damage (or some thief trying to scrape off some silver for himself).
Edited by jimbucks
08/01/2021 7:42 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2679 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2021  8:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks adjusted to me.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2192 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2021  8:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add t360 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Adjustment marks are commonly encountered on French silver coins from about 1645 to 1792. These are not too bad, since the portrait is largely intact.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5139 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2021  8:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree @t360.

The eBay sale I posted has adjustment marks reverse like OP's coin, but also some scratches obverse that do not look like adjustment.

I can't tell if OPs coin has been cleaned, or if the brightness is a photo artifact.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2192 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2021  6:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add t360 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The mint mark Q (located under the wreath ribbon on the reverse) seems to be nearly illegible. However the heart in the reverse legend and the incuse triangle within the circle under the bust (mint director's marks) are sufficient to identify the mint. There is a bump or edge defect at 10 o'clock on the obverse. There may also be some hairlines from an old cleaning in the obverse fields. However, the Louis XV Old Heads are notoriously hard to find in really nice condition. I think this one would sell on eBay for around $120-$150.
Edited by t360
08/04/2021 6:32 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 457Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: