Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Intentionally Damaged Rare Coins ('09s-VDB LWC, In This Case)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 495Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
305 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2021  6:07 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add hokiefan_82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm not a young guy anymore, but to this day it always hurts seeing a rare coin that has at some point been intentionally damaged or defaced! Especially one that, otherwise, is in decent condition. While a '09S-VDB LWC isn't a great rarity, this one I saw today for sale at Northeast Numismatics, a dealer I do a lot of business with, made me do a double-take.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
60659 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2021  6:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ain't that a hole in the head!
Pillar of the Community
United States
5304 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2021  6:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Something doesn't look quite right (beyond the head hole).
Valued Member
United States
366 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2021  7:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add halfamind to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is this coin slabbed? Looks like it from the photos.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
305 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2021  8:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hokiefan_82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Is this coin slabbed? Looks like it from the photos.

Yep, NGC AU Details - Holed
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15858 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2021  9:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Something doesn't look quite right (beyond the head hole).

Looks like the coin was cleaned and then artificially
retoned . But does it really matter with that bullet to the head .

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Pillar of the Community
United States
3055 Posts
Valued Member
United States
108 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2021  11:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pauley to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wonder if John Wilkes Booth had anything to do with this,?
As Above, So Below
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3214 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2021  07:59 am  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You see coins like this from time to time. Like this 1918/17-D Buffalo nickel that had been made into a Hobo nickel. It wasn't in the best condition to begin with, but showed the overdate very clearly.

The thing you have to remember is that most of these were not thought of as valuable when they were damaged or modified. To most people they were just pocket change that was there when needed.

When we see these now, we see the rarity and value. And yes, it does hurt to see some of the coins that have been holed or covered in graffiti. Who knows just what coin we are spending today will be worth tons of cash? Maybe those zinc-core Lincolns we laugh about now will be priceless if only because they haven't crumbled into so much glitter and dust.

ANA Member ID: 3203813 - CONECA Member ID: N-5637
"Shine, shine a Roosevelt dime. All the way to Baltimore and runnin' out of time." Tom Waits-Clap Hands

Edited by Yokozuna
08/03/2021 08:28 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
60659 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2021  08:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Boy, that's a groaner!
Learn More...
United States
103630 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3214 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2021  09:50 am  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OH! I forgot to say that the Hobo did sell for $1,475 + $295 buyer's premium back in March of 2021. You can see the sales information here if you'd like. https://auctions.kagins.com/Rare-19...el_i40246874
ANA Member ID: 3203813 - CONECA Member ID: N-5637
"Shine, shine a Roosevelt dime. All the way to Baltimore and runnin' out of time." Tom Waits-Clap Hands

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
60659 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2021  09:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That just dumb amazes me.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17121 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2021  6:25 pm  Show Profile   Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OUCH! Incredibly STUPID!
Lincoln Cent Lover!
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 495Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05