Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1927 Buffalo Dream If Only There Be Any Safe Way

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 550Next Topic  
United States
48 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2021  01:56 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Roagan to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
My dad found this coin in the 1960s in dirt I believe. I was reading on grading buffalos but no mention of tarnish and dirt. I don't want to ruin it but I think my dad rinsed it in tap water long ago. I went ahead and used acetone soak and rinse in distilled water but nothing else and it helped only slightly. to me with out the crud it looks like hardly any wear maybe ef 40 or even ua 50. can a pro clean this any better? and how bad does tarnish devalue? notice a few places on edge and high spot crud came off and its bright underneath. has anyone ever tried waterpik with distilled water in it?

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2933 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2021  02:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would agree with XF-low AU Details. Sadly, this ones surfaces are past the point of being conserved. Being in the ground left these surfaces porous. This type of ED cannot be improved IMO. Only other thing I would try is a xylene soak, rolling over the surfaces with a qtip to remove anything else you can. After that, leave it be.

Nonetheless, a great find in the ground!
Edited by Ty2020b
08/05/2021 02:12 am
Learn More...
United States
20566 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2021  06:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@roag, very nice dirt find! I would definitely stay away from the water pic but rather just leave it "as-is".
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15859 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2021  08:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
,this coin cannot be conserved ; dirt environment took it's toll on this one . Best not to try any further .

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
60683 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2021  08:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Right, leave well enough alone.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1182 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2021  7:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd put it in an Air-tite to prolong any further environmental damage as a keepsake for what it is.
ANA member
PAN Member
BCCS Member

There are no problems only solutions - the late, great John Lennon
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20371 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2021  8:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coin as is. Don't try any more cleaning.
just carl
Learn More...
United States
103663 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
2423 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2021  7:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Au details definitely do not clean
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
457 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2021  01:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikev50 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
seeing that your Dad found it--keep it "as is" for memories--
Valued Member
United States
146 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2021  4:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jonjrl1963 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Water pik wouldnt help, as the coin is missing metal.
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 550Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.35 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05