Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1959-1983 New In Package Whitman Coin Book With Pennies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 354Next Topic  
United States
48 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2021  11:56 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Roagan to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Just inherited selling some. Do I get more selling as is, or break open penny envelope and put in book? I assume they didnt include and valuble error pennies? Thanks for the opinions because I have no clue.

Valued Member
United States
365 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2021  1:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add halfamind to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, I would *carefully* check the envelope to see what's in there. You don't want to sell for too little, or honestly, too much. If it's what you think it is (common, lightly circulated Lincoln cents), you could put them in a coin tube for storage or sale. My 2 cents.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1544 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2021  1:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
it's a Memorial cent set, It's most likely going to be the normal coins, with a folder like that, maybe it has the 7 varieties of 1982 cent with no other errors or varieties, maybe they are BU coins, but maybe not. either way. the $19.95 is likely too much for what it is. but the invoice is dated 1983, so I wouldn't expect anything newer than that year.

So 1959-1983, what's that worth in BU? Likely a set in GEM BU in a folder from 1959 to 2021 would set you back $30 or so.

that folder, should be 82 holes and end in 1982 D zinc as the last printed date with extra spots to carry on, which most people wrote dates on. it's the printed front in silver/white, the older ones just have lettering, but it's wrapped so it's probably in pristine condition as long as it hasn't been dropped and the corners bent. the newer version is copper color printing on the cover and run up to 1998. Newest version has pictures on the cover.
not the oldest version, but it's probably 3 generations back.

The album might be worth more than the coins to a collector of coin storage items for it's condition, maybe like $30 for the album itself I'd say, maybe more. There's PLENTY of them around unwrapped and dinged up, or written in and used, very few that still have the plastic on them intact.

Although I'm concerned they stapled the envelope to the back cover of the folder which would impact it's desirability to someone that's serious abut these types of things, and they looking for a museum quality example if it still exists out there..

there's a guy David W. Lange wrote a book on this subject, it's 3 volumes, volume 3 is Whitman Publishing products, That guy probably knows the most on this subject than anyone else out there.
"Coin Collecting Albums A Complete History & Catalog". No idea how to contact him though to ask a question and see if he responds. Some of these guys are on coin websites, I've never seen him here though or on another coin site, but he could be on with some other name for all I know and incognito.
Edited by Big-Kingdom
08/05/2021 2:35 pm
United States
48 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2021  3:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Roagan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the info people
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
60623 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2021  3:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

to the CCF!
Learn More...
United States
103630 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2021  4:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting!

Like others, I would have to know what was in the envelope. There is not really anything "key" in the memorial cents, but would be nice to know if it included all the 1982 varieties and how this entire set grades. Of course, I am a sentimental type, so advise on selling anything inherited would have to come from other members.

As for the folder, being in original shrink wrap could fetch a premium. If I were selling anything, I would sell that separately for what it is.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3045 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2021  5:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
As for the folder, being in original shrink wrap could fetch a premium. If I were selling anything, I would sell that separately for what it is.

It looks to me that the coin envelope is inside the plastic wrapping, making it one package. To sell it separately, then the wrapping must come off the folder, thus reducing any inherent value of being sold in 'original shrink wrap'
Learn More...
United States
103630 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2021  5:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Upon further inspection, I believe you are correct. Oh well.
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 354Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.35 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05