Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1944 S - 5 Centavos Filippinas US Territorial

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 274Next Topic  
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2021  4:18 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add rooksmith to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Here are a couple of photos of one of my Filippinas - a 5 Centavo 1944. Its copper/nickel about the size of a dime, but thicker (US copper nickel planchet). Thr San Francisco mint mark on the left of the date on the reverse.

The PCGS populations are pretty thin (42 total), but the prices are more or less reasonable. There is a huge Philippino population in SF and the Bar Area, so I expect more of them from the Bay Area collectors.

https://www.PCGS.com/coinfacts/coin/1944-5c/90231

I'm looking for an actual mintage numbers (my mint and year) as well as any varieties of the 1944 issues.

They were minted in the US of course, and by 1944 the Japanese had been routed from the Philippines. I know that the pre-WW2 era coins were largely melted down bby the Japanese or were sunk in Manilla Bay, and are scarcer.

I think Filippinas are an up and coming rarity that deserves more attention.

Here is a link to the Coin Week article I found:
https://coinweek.com/dealers-compan...inistration/

Edited by rooksmith
08/05/2021 4:38 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
60836 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2021  4:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice write-up and thanks for the links.

to the CCF!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
40896 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2021  5:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
. According to Red Book,mintage is:14,040,000.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
3367 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2021  10:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm a USPI collector, and have a few nice specimens. I grew up living across the street from a Filipino family, and worked with many Filipinos in the electronics industry, so became fond of the culture. That's typical for my collecting interests, I tend to collect serendipitously.

A few years ago you could buy mint sets and even proof sets of these for a song, but now they are 20-50x higher. Last year I went to a coin dealer in Stockton, and asked if he had any USPI coins. He said someone had just come in with a few Pesos, but they were circulated, so he offered them to me at just above melt. Snap! I love those kinds of deals.
Contact me for photographic equipment or visit my home page at:
http://macrocoins.com
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2021  09:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rooksmith to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

https://coins.www.collectors-societ...px?sc=256378

This link has more info on the series including this:

During the Japanese occupation there was a very active resistance movement in the Philippines and allied inteligence was very much aware, of the economic situation in the islands, and the need to bring new coins and currency with them when they liberated the Philippines.

In preparation for General MacArthur's return to the Philippines the Treasury Department ordered the Philadelphia, and San Francisco Mints to strike millions of Five Centavos coins. The Philadelphia Mint struck 21,198,000 Five Centavos dated 1944. There is no Mint Mark on the coins struck at Philadelphia. The San Francisco Mint Struck 14,040,000 Five Centavos dated 1944 and 72,796,000 dated 1945. Coins struck at San Francisco have a S Mint Mark.

When American forces liberated the Philippines in 1944 - 1945 they brought with them the Wartime Alloy Victory Coins produced in the continental United States.
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 274Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05