Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2015-S Silver Proof Roosevelt Dime - Cameo Obverse But Not Reverse.

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 85 / Views: 2,676Next Topic
Page: of 6
Pillar of the Community
United States
3108 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2021  6:44 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Is this normal the have a proof coin (in this case a dime) be a nice Cameo on the obverse but plain on the reverse?
Did they use the wrong reverse die? or did it not get the laser etching like other coins?

Edited by Dearborn
08/05/2021 9:16 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
638 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2021  7:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add -makecents- to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I know there are such errors and one side being proof and the other business but not sure about this date/mint. It may be the pic but the reverse almost looks cleaned.
-makecents-
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53504 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2021  7:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like damage on 'DI' on Dime.
On the new proofs even the highest grades PR-70 Aren't worth grading:
https://www.PCGS.com/cert/34111208
$20 for a PR-70. Cost over twice that, to get it graded and still loose money on it. It is an impaired proof now.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
3108 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2021  7:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wasn't planning on getting it graded, Coop. I placed it in my Dansco album, I'm more curious about the cameo obv and non-cam of any kind on the reverse..

I'll get it back out and see If I can get a better pic of the reverse. It doesn't look cleaned to me, but what do I know about that? (hint, Not much lol)
Edited by Dearborn
08/05/2021 8:10 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53504 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2021  7:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To me it looks like it may have been rubbed on the 9:00 area. Also the damage on the denomination DIME is also not a good thing. Replace it when you go to coin shows. I was mentioning the issue with the prices of grading for the purpose to help everyone see that the new proof coins have no premiums on them like they did in the past when the cameo and DCam grading were a lot different in prices. The frosted proof cameo is the only listing for the proof coins of the present.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
3108 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2021  8:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coop, you have a great eye there, the DI is damaged - in fact it is scratched to all get-out.

@-makecents- You too, I think the cameo got polished off, under magnification you can see the cameo on the low parts of the device and scratches on the field.

Here are the pics!

Thanks for having a look, and giving me an idea of what to look for in the future.

but for now, I'm going to look for a replacement and toss this dime to the curb.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
638 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2021  8:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add -makecents- to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I hate that you have a damaged coin but glad you got an answer, for whatever that's worth.
-makecents-
Pillar of the Community
United States
2070 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2021  8:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikediamond to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If, as it appears, the laser frosting on the reverse die was omitted, you have a significant and valuable die variety. I could write it up for Coin World, if you'd like.
Error coin writer and researcher.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3108 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2021  8:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thanks, it is what it is.. already have another to replace this one. I bought this in a batch of 7 others which look fine, so, I'm not too bent on it. On the up side, it is 90% silver.

I may just melt it down and keep it out of any other unsuspecting hands or collectors..
Edited by Dearborn
08/05/2021 8:36 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3108 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2021  8:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If, as it appears, the laser frosting on the reverse die was omitted, you have a significant and valuable die variety. I could write it up for Coin World, if you'd like

Hey, WOW, Mike. Yes if you want to do that Please be my guest. what do you need from me?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3108 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
638 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2021  8:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add -makecents- to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hope it pans out!!
-makecents-
Pillar of the Community
United States
3108 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11984 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2021  10:58 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting!
In Memory of Crazyb0 12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious 3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020

Oh that I was where I would be,
Then I would be where I am not,
Here I am where I must be,
Go where I would, I can not.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
40896 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2021  05:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dearborn,
If Mike is interested in it,I would put it in an Air-Tite holder and send it to him if he agrees to look at it in hand. If it did indeed miss the laser frosting it should be worth a pretty penny.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
3108 Posts
Page: of 6 Previous TopicReplies: 85 / Views: 2,676Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.56 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05