Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Best Lists For 'Current' Retail $ Prices For 'All' Modern US Varieties

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 409Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
3032 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2021  02:34 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add mdpmedia to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
It seems that finding this type of data at a one-stop-shop is virtually impossible.

I realize that one could go to 'advanced' in EBay to see the most recent results of modern varieties. But this data only remains visible until the seller keeps their terminated auction's results on-line.

And many price guides only show only select varieties' prices.

I am not pursuing the $ 5 - $10 prices ranges but the ones considered most desireable or rare modern verieties.

Opinions needed.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3723 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2021  03:11 am  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PCGS CoinFacts includes estimated prices and realized auction prices for most all major varieties. Also can see many auction sold prices at Great Collections but need to make an account. Between those and eBay you should be able to find a sale of a major variety or at least estimated price guide. Minor varieties, well, just hard to ever find info on them.

Also, it is good form to actually ask the specific questions in the text of your post and not just in the title. The text of your thread is not just a continuation of the title, and your thread asks no questions.
Edited by tropicalbats
08/07/2021 03:18 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3238 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2021  12:28 pm  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There isn't a one-stop-shop for almost any type of collecting hobby. It may be that it's simply too much information to put into an easily searchable form. Of all the error/variety coin websites, I use my Heritage account most often to find the data I need as they have a price history that goes back several years and they have wonderful images.

They offer a free account so, if you can keep your finger off of the BID NOW button, it's a great no-cost tool.
ANA Member ID: 3203813 - CONECA Member ID: N-5637
"Shine, shine a Roosevelt dime. All the way to Baltimore and runnin' out of time." Tom Waits-Clap Hands

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
280 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2021  3:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cons to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Yokozuna good to know :)
Pillar of the Community
United States
3032 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2021  03:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mdpmedia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
90% of my collection accumulated over the last 15 years is classified as varieties. This is what I'll be bringing to any show.

Internet connections are notoriously unreliable and slow just when you need some information quickly. This can be the case especially at smaller trade shows that do not have adequate symmetrical (upload and download) bandwidth availability or reliable setups (signal repeaters, routers etc.) for multiple simultaneous connections.

I should've been more specific but I was hoping to find some sort of printed material that I could quickly grab the US variety prices for all years when needed. Is there some sort of 'paper' publication that I could purchase with pricing for these varieties?

I agree that the price you get is ideally based upon what the most recent sales are. However, a type of backup hand held printed list of prices would at least give me something to personally refer to or show to a prospective buyer quickly etc.

This may be an impossible request but one will never know for sure unless the question is asked.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3032 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2021  9:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mdpmedia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I kept searching for an answer to this elusive one-stop-shop price guide challenge for both mods' and classics' varieties to no avail.

Being totally frustrated over the impending anguish to 'possibly' find this essential info. for use in a time-effective manner during a busy trade show, I found it in a locale that never crossed my mind before as a viable option.

I took up WorthPoint's 7 free looks 'try before you buy' deal to take a chance to find a variety. As a trial balloon I inputted 'Scarface Morgan $1' at worthpoint.com. Unbelievably, 396 results popped up to choose from. They showed sale dates, 'sold' auction gallery prices, TPGs, slab photos, auction house names (Stack's & Bowers, Heritage, & Ebay etc.) & variety ref. #s etc.

Furthermore, I could not believe it when it detailed specific verbiage of even very obscure varieties within lesser collected series like half dimes, for example. One 'sold' listing read as:
'RPD-001 V-3b Breen 3099 1860/1860Repunched 1 South seen at base'. This was associated with an un-slabbed coin at an EBay auction in April of 2019. The Greysheet guide typically only covers the major varieties.

Also what's convenient is that the written T & Cs for WP data storage reserves state in writng that all sales data is preserved for a period going back ten years from the present. This is more than enough time for me.

Pillar of the Community
United States
3032 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2021  9:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mdpmedia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My personal proposed MO:

Now I'm searching for URLs containing the most exact matching TPG/grade, variety #, sales price and most recent sale date of any coin or currency I wish to sell. This should be a great tool to have available at a fast moving trade show.

Well in advance of any tradeshow I will have secured the most appropriate URL. Then also I will have inputted it into a non-PDF 'interactive' Excel sheet to quickly bring up the price when needed.

This may seem like too much pre-show work to some folks for 100s of varietal coins. But thinking it through, a majority of buyers most likely would buy the coin from me since I would have done my homework in advance saving her/him a lot of undesirable research grunt work etc.

And if you think about it, many prospective buyers at tradeshows buy coins on impulse anyway with no preparatory pricing routine aside from carrying around a Greysheet that's hit or miss at best ref. varieties.

I have not tried this approach yet but I speculate that my sales close % for most hard-to-find coins should be a significantly higher number based upon a more efficient use of my time at trade shows while physically interacting with several prospects.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
777 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2021  10:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add -makecents- to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know if there is a single place you will find what you are looking for, that's a big ask but in my short time in dealing with coins, if there is something out there, this person would know but unfortunately, I think he just stayed up on everything and knew where to be, he is an updated encyclopedia of all coins. Been around for quite some time and still works the tables. "vamsterdam" on VAMWORLD 2.0 is the last place I had seen him posting. He is an absolute master of all Numismatics and their worth. Your book is a person.
-makecents-
Edited by -makecents-
08/16/2021 10:38 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 409Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05