Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Another Farthing Question

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 343Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
665 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2021  11:48 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add moose59 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I know there is a difference on the neck of the 1911 farthings. Straight and curved. My question is........
Is the a designation for the difference, or is it just marking the flip straight neck and curved neck' Fairly certain the ones on the top are straight and the one on the bottom is curved.

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
681 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2021  1:07 pm  Show Profile   Check PaddyB's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure I have heard of the Straight and Curved neck varieties, and not mentioned in Spink. The best website I know of for farthings talks of Hollow and Normal neck, but this is different. If anything top left may be Hollow neck and the other two Normal.
See: http://aboutfarthings.co.uk/catalog...11-farthing/ for a more detailed explanation.
Pillar of the Community
United States
665 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2021  6:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moose59 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes I agree, after reading the About farthings it is definitely the top left one. I knew I saw something some where. Thank you

Nice to have a sample of each one in decent condition..

Wish I could say the same about the rest of my farthings.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19084 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2021  11:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a large screen, so I could more closely examine them. (Images 90mmm diameter on my screen). I put a straight edge to neck truncation on the screen in each case, and I notice there were tiny differences in all of them, which would indicate minor die varieties.

I have no idea which die variety would be scarcer, - it could be due to tiny differences in the working dies, rather than in the working hubs. Not enough obvious difference to be caused by different master dies.

Probably the reason why Spink has no mention of them.
Pillar of the Community
United States
665 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2021  12:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moose59 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you look at the back third of the neck you can see a depression.
This explains it rather well: http://aboutfarthings.co.uk/catalog...11-farthing/
Images from the website:

Pillar of the Community
Australia
1851 Posts
 Posted 09/04/2021  8:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mr T to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've got some photos of both types in my book: https://www.commonwealthcoins.net/b...ze-farthings
It's hard to pick though - the same variety appears on the halfpenny and penny as well but in those cases the denticle alignment is different too - not so for the farthing.
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 343Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05