Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Where Do You Get The Majority Of Coins/ Currency For Your Collection?

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 1,261Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
New Zealand
3190 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2021  02:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good question. Here is my answers.

I would say all my better coins (As in the Halfcrowns and EF NZ shillings, Aussie Florins etc) come off a site called Trade Me, which is Kiwi ebay and I buy mostly off Established dealers and traders (My favourites are Bertrand Collectibles and John Eccles, both based in Wellington), most of the best coins come from them and I have a good relationship with these people.

Some trade me sales are from lesser traders and some individuals who may just have 1 or 2 coins that I like. Sadly some are scammers or I have fallen out with. There is a lot of crap on Trade me and you need to sort the diamonds from the dust.

The world fun mix is mostly from collections I pick up from friends of friends (One this June was friends of my Aunty down in Christchurch) and many from 2 ladies who run a mission shop and I buy all the coins from deceased states (Mostly common muck metal stuff) and pay a donation to. Plus a guy at my stamp club who brings me stuff from time to time.

Lately since mid 2020 I have traded with Australian members of CCF who know who they are and we do a mutual thing - Aussie modern for Kiwi modern and they like it (Take a bow Mr Triggersmob and David Graham). Also I bought a pile off another British member called AndyG which boosted my 19th century British silver greatly!
And then also the trades with Redlock who is feeding me nice German climate coins!

Finally 2 dealers, Shades stamp shop in Christchurch, NZ and Peter Eccles provide the rest, plus with whatever I can noodle out of change!

So about

65% Trade me dealers
25% Ladies for charity shops and buy ins
5% Triggersmob and David Graham (CCF members and all round good guys)
3% Bricks and mortar kiwi dealers
2% My noodling coins and notes out of change.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Edited by Princetane
09/05/2021 02:46 am
Valued Member
United States
74 Posts
 Posted 09/07/2021  1:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinMan2003 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello!

My collection is mostly split between inherited and purchased at auctions. Most of my auctioning has been during covid, so I have been buying and learning online auctions and I try to only watch local auctions within driving distance to save on shipping.

I don't have any good dealers located near me. I have one I've bought from but its about 2 hours away so not too convenient.

Good topic - thanks!
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2021  12:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TexMex to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I buy locally when price is right, usually is since I'm friends with shop owner and we barter and trade back and forth. Ebay definitely is second. More traditional auctions when coins I collect become available.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5149 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2021  11:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting results thus far ...

The "most popular" venue scores under 20%.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4384 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2021  11:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Interesting results thus far ...

The "most popular" venue scores under 20%.

I think the sample size is still too small to make any reasonable assumptions.

What it "seems" to show is that we as collectors get coins from many places.
Edited by hfjacinto
09/24/2021 12:26 pm
Learn More...
United States
106618 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2021  12:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What it "seams" to show is that we as collectors get coins from many places.
Agreed.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20480 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2021  1:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I simply go back in time and get all the coins I need from change.
just carl
Valued Member
United States
417 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2021  2:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add howell1018 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've collected stamps and coins. I'll be 71 next month and even though I'm in good health I've begun to think about my own mortality, and don't want to leave my 2 daughters (inheritors) with the headache of liquidating my collections hence I've scaled back. Sold all my stamps, of significant value, at auction 2 years ago and gave the proceeds to the daughters. As far as coins go, like rainbow toned Morgan dollars that have been slabbed by PCGS or NGC at 65 or above as I know that these will be relatively easy to sell. I currently have 25 of these. All the dates/mintmarks are unique. Once I obtain a certain date/mintmark I move on. All this said, all of my Morgans have come via eBay. I have tried acquiring coins through internet auctions (Heritage..Stacks...etc.) but thus far no luck. All of my Morgans are relatively common dates (for some reason those seem to be the ones that are toned the most). In all honesty the source that I really get most of my coins from is the U.S. mint. In the distant past I have enjoyed buying coins from a coin shop, but decent coin shops seem few and far between and I live in Southern California.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
3343 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2021  8:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I know postage isn't cheap, but I love trading with people around the world and that is where the majority of my collection has come from. I have traded with people from Australia, New Zealand, USA, UK, Germany, Estonia, Lithuania, Canada, Turkey, China, India, Sweden, Slovakia, Portugal, South Korea, Egypt, Iran, Italy, Russia, and Kuwait.
View my Coins here, (NOW WITH OVER 16,000 IMAGES).... http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10048
OFEC count = 237
Valued Member
Russian Federation
77 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2021  11:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Grinya to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Now I'm getting about 50% from swapping (mostly for modern coins) and another 50% by buying on local coin forums or auctions (mostly for old coins).
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 1,261Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: