Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Small Bronze Coin That Has Me Baffled?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 397Next Topic  
New Zealand
5 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2021  04:33 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Dannz99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi,

Could anyone please help me identify this small coin...

I have had it hanging around my collection for years...on occasion I have a bit of a search online to try and attribute it, but I have now raised the white flag in surrender.

As can be seen, one side is blank/worn away and the other has four quadrants with a dot in the middle with some cryptic symbols in each quadrant - this little coin is really close to a slug, I think I received it with a bunch of low quality un-cleaned (late period) Roman coins.

It is around 12mm in dia. and weighs 1.32 grams, so it is tiny...I am not sure if Roman, Greek or other?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Regards, Dan.

Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3588 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2021  05:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like Messembria (M-E-T-A in quadrants). Not very familiar with the series and IIRC they're commonly faked.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
41216 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2021  07:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United Kingdom
85 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2021  1:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JohnConduitt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Possibly SNG BMC 278 on this page:
https://www.wildwinds.com/coins/gre...mbria/i.html

It looks very round and centred, and perhaps suspicious that one side would be worn down so much.
New Zealand
5 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2021  8:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dannz99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all that have replied back...

Yes, I agree, it is very round and centred - most images of other coins of this type do not have the wheel all the way to the edge of the flan.

However, the condition of the metal looks authentic to me and the existing patina looks real - maybe an ancient fake?

I agree it's strange with the obverse virtually flat, but I think I can see a very faint outline of something (head?) in certain angles/light...maybe I'm just imagining it.

Anyway, I will ID as PROBABLE; "Greek - Thrace, Mesembria AE, Circa 350-300 BC. [Helmeted head of Athena to right] / Wheel with four spokes; M-E-T-A between spokes. SNG BMC Black Sea 278; Moushmov 3977. 1.32g, 12mm.

...Thanks for the welcome John1

Regards, Dan.
Valued Member
Learn More...
Cyprus
247 Posts
 Posted 09/04/2021  4:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add micha to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks authentic, I have a similar one with Facing Corinthian Helmet at 15mm 2.2g
Dan, I did some photoshop tips and if you turn the obverse 180 degrees could be a Facing helmet, the quality of the photo is low to say for sure but check it out as well.
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 397Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05