Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Curious As To How Many Members Collect American Coins

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 37 / Views: 1,873Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member

United States
369 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2021  12:48 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add grospoisson to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have seen many members who do not live in the US and was wondering if you collect US coins or coins from your country or world coins in General? On the other hand do many of you Americans collect a different countries coinage? As far as I can tell we have members who collect just about every type of coin imaginable. I guess I am narrow minded since I see no reason to collect a little of this , a little that but if I stick to that philosophy , when I finish my collection then what? Is the concept of "finish a collection" not in your vocabulary. Just curious as to how other members approach collecting?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4142 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2021  1:01 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We specialize in US collector coins .
Pillar of the Community
United States
1076 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2021  8:00 pm  Show Profile   Check Collects82's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Collects82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My collection is about 50/50. For my hoard of 82s, everything 1782 and earlier is non-US (No 1782 dated Colonials). I am working on some classic US sets, namely Buffalos, but also a type set of Thai coins.
My hoard of '82s is up to 223! 218 BC x 1, 118 BC x 3, 18 BC x 1, 82 x 1, 182 x 1, 282 x 2, 382 x 1, 582 x 2, 682 x 1, 782 x 2, 882 x 1, 982 x 4, 1082 x 1 1182 x 8, 1282 x 2, 1382 x 1, 1482 x 5, 1582 x 13, 1682 x 16, 1782 x 58, 1882 x 62, 1982 x 37
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2635 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2021  8:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Parklane64 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've put a washer in a 2X2, and a butt0n, and a slug, and...
Ah heck I got it bad.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4588 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2021  8:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was born in Portugal, but have lived in the states almost 45 years. So my collection is a little bit of Portuguese coins..

A nice set of Portuguese currency.

But the vast majority are US coins.

'

And currency.

Edited by hfjacinto
09/06/2021 9:28 pm
Valued Member
United States
369 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2021  9:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add grospoisson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I assumed incorrectly that most people picked denomination, then tried to collect date and mintmark and complete the set. From there it was on to improving each piece or move on to a different denomination or possibly banknotes,
Pillar of the Community
United States
4588 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2021  9:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I assumed incorrectly that most people picked denomination, then tried to collect date and mintmark and complete the set. From there it was on to improving each piece or move on to a different denomination or possibly banknotes

That's not an incorrect assumption but many of us collect in random ways. For example the first set I ever completed was the 1941-1975 Whitman folder of Lincoln cents, then I went to the 1909 to 1940 set and I never officially completed that one (still missing a 1909 S VDB). And while I have those sets in Whitman folders, I started and do have a full set of small cents from 1857 to 2019 in Littleton and Dansco albums (I even have the 1909 S VDB). As you collect longer your goals become different, you might go to type sets or currency or to pre 1933 gold. So while many collect 1 series at a time others don't.
Learn More...
United States
108260 Posts
 Posted 09/07/2021  12:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I primarily collect US coins, but have three albums with foreign coins I have accumulated over the years.
Valued Member
United States
369 Posts
 Posted 09/07/2021  4:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add grospoisson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
"I was born in Portugal, but have lived in the states almost 45 years. So my collection is a little bit of Portuguese coins.."

Hey my forum friend is there a rhyme or reason to your collection. Really Awesome coins , but as usual I was looking for dates and mint marks in a sequential order. I am just realizing that a lot of collectors on here assemble their collections in a different presentation than what I was expecting.
Kinda cool actually!

expecting.. Kinda cool actually
Valued Member
United States
369 Posts
 Posted 09/07/2021  4:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add grospoisson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
"I've put a washer in a 2X2, and a butt0n, and a slug, and...
Ah heck I got it bad."
It took me a second then I actually laughed out loud. Reminds me of all the different buttons, tokens, religious medals , buckles, race cars, jewelry etc that I have found metal detecting. My grandkids dump everything out of the five gallon bucket every month, then have to pick it all back up.
Valued Member
United States
236 Posts
 Posted 09/07/2021  6:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Raised on rock to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mainly US and Canada. Other foreign from areas served in the Air Force.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4588 Posts
 Posted 09/07/2021  7:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Really Awesome coins , but as usual I was looking for dates and mint marks in a sequential order.

But I have those also, you just asked if we only collected American coins

Small Cents:

Lincoln Cents:

Heck I even have that for Canadian Cents

Valued Member
United States
369 Posts
 Posted 09/08/2021  08:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add grospoisson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
" But I have those also, you just asked if we only collected American coins

Small Cents:"

I am the one who usually catches things like that. This shows you pay attention! Couple questions: In your opinion have the 1929-d and the 1931-d Lincolns been dipped? I have a few that color and can't seem to find that color progression for copper. Also I submitted several like the 1933 Lincoln. Do you think that one has been altered? All my memorials in my dansco album were like 1972-s ( but pristine) then open album a year later and several have toned much worse than the 1974-s huh

29-D and the
Pillar of the Community
United States
4588 Posts
 Posted 09/08/2021  08:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Considering the main value of the collection is tied up only in a few coins (like the 1909 S VDB, 1909 S, 1914 D, 1931 S), I really don't worry about the others.

Of all the Lincoln Cents, I think the 1928 may have been dipped at a time in the past, but I really can't say.
Valued Member
United States
369 Posts
 Posted 09/08/2021  11:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add grospoisson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Considering the main value of the collection is tied up only in a few coins (like the 1909 S VDB, 1909 S, 1914 D, 1931 S), I really don't worry about the others.

Of all the Lincoln Cents, I think the 1928 may have been dipped at a time in the past, but I really can't say.

This is the main reason I joined the forum was to find out which coins in my collection have been altered. as everyone will tell you it's hard to tell from pictures. As soon as I learn to post clear pictures , I will ask members to weigh in. Also when I receive my submitted coins I will have a better idea of altered coins.. This will cost me several hundred dollars, however veteran collectors often told me it will cost money to learn! As always thanks for sharing
Pillar of the Community
United States
6722 Posts
 Posted 09/08/2021  11:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have fun with about everything coin-related. My collection/hoard runs approx. 70% US, 10% Canada, 5 % UK, 5% Japan, and the rest is a world mix. Many Danscos and other folders, and a boat load of 2x2s.
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 37 / Views: 1,873Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: