Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Best Place To Sell Coins?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 453Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
74 Posts
 Posted 09/07/2021  1:13 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CoinMan2003 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello

I am curious what places have been the best for your sales of coins?

Currently I have only been selling on Ebay.

Ebay charges a good amount of fees - and I'd rather sell coins to others without the Ebay % which would be better for them.

I have sold a little through Facebook, but I don't really want too much posted publicly for every joe schmo to see and know where I live

So, what are your favorite places to sell?
Pillar of the Community
United States
5356 Posts
 Posted 09/07/2021  2:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Check out hipstamp.com
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Learn More...
United States
105068 Posts
 Posted 09/07/2021  3:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have never sold a coin and doubt I ever will, so I can be of no help here.

However, as a buyer, I like a good coin show and have used eBay a bit lately. Depending on what you are selling, seeking offers from a few dealers at nearby show might be worth your while.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20417 Posts
 Posted 09/07/2021  9:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You might try selling at coin shows. Of course you would have to sit there all day and usually need a good amount of coins.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
2567 Posts
 Posted 09/07/2021  10:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I use ebay if I sell.
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2021  12:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TexMex to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sold before on ebay but they tend to charge a lot in fees.
I sometimes trade with our local coin dealer. He likes new stuff in his shop so usually pays fair prices.
Don't think I'd sell on Facebook for security reasons.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19146 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2021  03:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am the same as jbuck, never sold a coin in 45 years.
My collection will be broken up via public auction after I kick the bucket.

As it turns out, because I have always cherry picked in terms of price, I have always bought well, and the total value of my collection has turned out to be a moderately profitable against inflation.

Perhaps you should change your selling strategy, and help out your loved ones instead, and in the meantime, just enjoy your collecting over a lifetime.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10704 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2021  1:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
everytime I went to a show and attempted to sell the prices were sometimes less than half of what I could get on something like ebay. in order to make $$ dealers rarely can pay more than that unless they know they can unload it quickly for a profit. thats why they are in business.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19146 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2021  7:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with Panzaldi; that has been my experience also.
Valued Member
United States
471 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2021  09:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captaincoffee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Perhaps you should change your selling strategy, and help out your loved ones instead, and in the meantime, just enjoy your collecting over a lifetime.

I'm of the opposite opinion. I want to help my loved ones by separating the wheat from the chaff in my collection while I'm still here. Then my loved ones don't have to deal with thousands of items when I'm gone...which leads to simply selling in bulk at 1/2 value. As we get to that point in our lives, it is the perfect opportunity to refine and narrow down our collections to the items we really appreciate and want to pass down.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4616 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2021  10:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am a vest pocket dealer and find that the best strategy when selling to dealers is to offer my slabbed coins at 10% back of greysheet bid. I do this when selling through other sources would net me less profit after fees. The coins tend to be coins that have a wholesale-retail spread less than what is typical(or rarely, negative). I'm kind of taking advantage of the dealers who rely solely on TPG grades and greysheet.

Otherwise, my go-to selling place is reddit. The coins4sale and pmsforsale subreddits have a very active userbase and pay strong prices, especially for metals. The only downside is that it can be incredibly risky. There's absolutely zero protections for both buyers and sellers. Usually first time sellers are expected to ship the item before receiving payment.
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 453Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05