Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Mystery Coin - F R ? (Id: 17th Century Reckheim Liard)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 741Next Topic  

United Kingdom
3 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2021  06:07 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CooperT to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello, my son found this coin in a collection handed down to him by his grandfather. We haven't been able to find anything like it online despite the very distinctive F R, so wondering if it might be a toy. Would greatly appreciate any feedback

Bedrock of the Community
United States
42745 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2021  08:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
1272 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2021  3:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Albert to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I posted this better image to help identify the coin.
It's clear that there is a crown over a coat of arms having what some call a rampant lion as well has having three diagonal cubes.
Someone should be able to ID this piece.

Pillar of the Community
Australia
1025 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2021  3:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

You will have a better chance of an ID if you post the diameter and weight as well as pics.
United Kingdom
3 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2021  4:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CooperT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin is 24-25 mm in diameter. I don't have scales that can accurately measure the weight, but my kitchen scale says 2g (it is likely less).
Learn More...
United States
108242 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3764 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2021  11:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The surrounding legend doesn't seem to match, so it might be a different variant, but the devices match perfectly, so it's probably the same guy: https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces187126.html

Reckheim (?), Ferdinand d'Aspremont-Lynden (?), liard. I couldn't find a lot of pictures of those, so I can't tell if it could be anything else.
United Kingdom
3 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2021  2:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CooperT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow! That must be it! Thank you so much january1may & everyone else who contributed - my son is totally hooked on coin collecting now! &
Pillar of the Community
Belgium
650 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2021  03:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bart to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is indeed the indicated coin, link given by january1may, but on the contrary of what's on numista, this coin was not issued by the prince-bishopry of Liege, but by its small neighbour, the county of Reckheim. This county, containing about 6 villages in nowadays belgian limburg, was part of the Holy Roman Empire and was not part of the prince-bishopry of Liege. The counts earned a lot of money issuing coins which were about look-a-likes of coins of the neighbouring countries (Liege, the Spanish Netherlands), but which were lighter in weight. Officially they were only legal tender in Reckheim, but many users of Liege or the Spanish netherlands didn't see the difference, so they circulated in those countries too, to the anger of the rulers of those countries.
Many varieties exist.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5232 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2021  07:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@bart, thanks for the recent IDs of the two coins from Reckheim and Gronsveld.

I'm a collector of early "Low Countries" coins, but these two places are outside my experience. Your comments remind me that there is always more to learn!
Valued Member
Netherlands
499 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2021  5:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Archeo1982 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to identify low countries copper coins I often use this Dutch website: http://duiten.nl/
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 741Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.32 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: