Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2019 DD Or MD? D-Lincoln Still Learning Thanks

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 203Next Topic  
United States
11 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2021  01:28 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Jamcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Ok do would this one be dd or md? Or spots where theres both. I thought it started to make since front reading posts and then I got more confused haha. Sorry for the awful pics, best this micro can do . Any help is appreciated, but simple form is easier for me to learn and not have to keep ask.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
40856 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2021  04:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
. Looks like MD with photos provided. Looks like you need to put a filter over your light source. On full coin pics, please crop photos properly before posting. Thanks.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
5328 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2021  07:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree. Looks like Machine Doubling.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53449 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2021  08:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First notice the affected area? Is it on the centers of the devices, or on the outside edges of the devices? Why does this make a difference? Well Machine Doubling is always see on the outside or inside of devices. Hub doubling is seen on the centers of the devices. On your coin the outside edge on liberty is shoved towards the center. So the outside edge is where the damage happened by the machine. Also note the overall size of the devices are normal in size. On a doubled die, the devices will be enlarged in the center and can be taller or wider than normal devices.

Note on this coin, I was directing the attention on this area. Note the left side of the devices are pushed aside. Also note the contour of the devices on the left, are flattened or altered on just that one area. On the image below, look at the centers? You can see where the devices are enlarged, because of the hub doubling They will be wider/taller depending on the type of doubling. Also note the closed devices, the 'B' and the 'R'? Note they are smaller than normal because of the devices being made taller on this doubled die. But on the normal coin with the Machine Doubling, the centers of these are normal in size. Just the one side is affected, altering the contour of the coin.
What is contour? This allows the full design to be seen on the devices. Most often because of light it will start at the top and turn darker before it reaches the fields. Can you see that on the lower image, the DDO? Now look at the top image I posted on Liberty. You see light, but because of the lack of contour (caused by Machine Doubling) there is not fading of light? That is what I mean by removal of contour. The shape is altered and doesn't look normal.
Note on these proof coins:

Note the lighter color at the tops of the devices, then it darkens towards the base and the fields are a different color. Light makes the contour stand out.
Note the light spread of color on these devices:

The top one is a normal proof coin and the lower one is a doubled die. Note the centers. We see the light, but on the DDO, were see spread of two sets of hub on these devices. A line in the center is where the two hub processes is showing the DDO. This doubling can be weaker or stronger on doubled dies. Because the direction of the spread and how it affect different areas of the devices. But mahcine doubling is not like that at all.

Note on this coin. The whole coin is showing a push in a single direction because of Machine Doubling. It all happens at once. It affects differently the devices because of the locations. But on this coin it is in a single direction. But does this happen on doubled dies as well?

Note all 4 are the big DDO for 1969-S Note the enlarging of the devices on the date. But no hub doubling on the mintmark. (the mintmark is added to the die in a separate process) But note the yellow arrows. That is where this doubled die is affected by Machine Doubling. Note on these coins they direction is the same on each strike. But also note that the MD is not always the same. On the doubled dies, the doubling is the same strike after strike. The Machine Doubling is caused by the machine, the doubled die is caused by doubling on the die.
So what have we learned. That Machine Doubling affects coins in the same pattern:
1. Often in a single direction (but not always) but affects the devices on the outside/inside areas of the devices.
2. The devices on a MD coin will have the contour removed. With the contour removed, the devices are pushed or flattened, leaving the devices altered. (This flattening will also reflect causing glare that is seen in images, and hides the MD for others trying to see what is being reported)
3. On Machine Doubling the devices are not enlarged. Actually the centers of the devices are thinned, reduced by the MD.
4. Machine Doubling can be different from strike to strike.

while these are interesting to find, they are usually the last thing noticed on a coin. If there was a doubled die, it would have been spotted first thing because of the enlarging of the devices. MD is often found later when you have not found a doubled die and you keep looking and lastly see the Machine Doubling. So look for the enlarging of the devices, and stop after you do not see it. Move on to the next coin.

CoopHome: Machine doublings, hub doubling and what is contour on coins devices?
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
60763 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2021  09:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
6852 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2021  5:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with all of the above!

to the CCF!
ša va bien aller

United States
11 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2021  7:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jamcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you guys, I think I understand it a little better. Probably still need a little help but I think I understand.
Thanks again
United States
11 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2021  7:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jamcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To sure, that means this coin is also md correct?

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53449 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2021  01:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Note the direction of what you are seeing? Die wear flows towards the direction of the closest rim. On the last images, that is what you are seeing. Date to the right. Liberty flowing towards the left. On the motto devices on the tops of the devices. Just normal die wear with no premium. Look at the centers of the devices. Look for widening/taller devices larger than normal size. Your coin is from normal die.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 203Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05