Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1997 Cent, Is There Supposed To Be 2 Fonts For The 9 S?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 27 / Views: 785Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community

Canada
2108 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2021  11:58 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Is this caused by MD just making one nine smaller then the other? There is a pretty good difference in size so I want to assume MD? Or is there supposed to be 2 font sizes?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2679 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2021  12:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks normal design to me.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
12588 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2021  12:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is probably MD as you say. If you look at the 7, the downstroke
is also thinner than it should be.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
62926 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2021  12:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not seeing MD.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2108 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2021  12:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@coinfrog, thanks kind of what confused me and why I was asking if this is just the normal design. The second 9 and 7 at the end of the date appear to have the same font but the first 9 is notably larger then the second 9. There is no damage to the date, so is 2 different sized 9s normal for this year? I don't have one to compare with.

Edit:I meant don't have a second to compare with.

Also dosnt MD widen the devices but flatten them at the same time? I'm not 100% sure on that actually is it possible MD but just flattened the 9 and 7 at the end of the date but didn't leave a second shelf like impression?(or again is 2 different 9 sizes normal for this date?
Edited by Wrekkdd
09/18/2021 12:49 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4246 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2021  2:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I thought that MD will thin out the devices as the die wears out or through excessive polishing. On the die the letters and numbers are tapered in the die to enable the coin to eject easier. If there were to be any kind of doubling, then the devices would be widened some.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54649 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2021  3:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It could be die polishing on the outer two devices. If so, then these will be slightly shorter than the first two. Also sometimes grease can affect one side of the devices and fill in areas. Preventing the full devices to form. Note it is on one side of the devices. So someone may have wiped down the die will a cloth and move the grease to one side of the devices. When the die was new, they were all the same size as normal. They are not two different sets of devices. (that went out in 1908) Now the full design is created on the die in a single step. On the dies before 1989 the mintmarks were the only thing added to the die. Through the years the processes have changed a lot through the years.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2108 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2021  6:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@coop, the top of the loop in the second 9 looks larger and less round then the first as well, also what is that little bit if what looks like extra metal under the first 9? A partial grease filling on the devices definitely seems like a possibility. But the widened second 9 loop I'm not sure about. Can anyone post a shot if what the date should look like so I have a reference?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54649 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2021  7:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Best to see the proof coins for the lesser die wear examples.

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays

Pillar of the Community
Canada
2108 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2021  7:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@coop, neither of these is 1997 date, this coin is definitely circulated, but the 2 9s look very different to me. I still am not sure what the mark @12oclock on the inside of the first 9 is, and the second 9 I am confused about as well. A partial Grease Fill on those devices seems likely, though I have not seen examples. I can definitely rule out MD I think. The 7 and 9 look like they are definitely thinner then the 1 and first 9.

@ coop so what would your opinion on this be? A partial Grease Filled Die on the devices with some wear and tear?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54649 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2021  9:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Richard S. Cooper

Pillar of the Community
Canada
2108 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2021  9:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@coop, based on your photos the second 9 and 7 definitely seem smaller. Your original Post is probably correct, the die was filled on these numbers reducing the device's. I'll have to keep an eye out for this so I don't confuse it with something else.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7575 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2021  01:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PLEASE no computer screen shots! We ask and ask and still we get them. Please don't.
ça va bien aller

Pillar of the Community
Canada
2108 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2021  06:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@merclover, this is all I have right now, so if I'm going to post an up close shot it must be a screen shot at the moment, at least untill I get a new charger for my computer.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
41966 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2021  08:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Make and model of your computer?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2108 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2021  08:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@john1,I'm not actually sure I'll have to get it out of storage(my closet) lol. It's an older laptop., Hopefully this scope is compatible with it.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 27 / Views: 785Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.47 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: