Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1980 D Quarter. Found In Roll Hunt.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 404Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
83 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2021  11:08 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add DACWG183 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Good evening. The 1980 D Quarter has multiple things going on. I need you guys that have been in the business longer to look and let me know. My first thought is someone did this to the coin. However I am not sure as I see what looks like lamination issues. The design in front of the bust is lower than the face of the coin. As well as the bust itself. You will see lines coming down the forehead and behind the mouth that extends down past IGWT and back up through the middle of the date. Through the back of the hairline and reconnects at the top of the head making a complete line. This whole area is lower or sunken. Not sure what to make of it.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54091 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2021  11:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like it's had a tough life. On clad coins, a missing clad would show a copper color. Not brown but red.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
09/19/2021 11:20 pm
Valued Member
United States
414 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2021  01:50 am  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Possible metal detecting find? Appears to be significant corrosion on the reverse.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
41343 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2021  05:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Environmental damage.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
7189 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2021  2:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Environmental damage (post mint), possibly from acid conditions. No a mint error.
ça va bien aller

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54091 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2021  10:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cup holder coins often altered in color.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
248 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2021  06:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kenwright396 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
12089 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2021  07:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Whatever caused it, it didn't happen during the striking of the coin. PMD
Valued Member
United States
83 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2021  12:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DACWG183 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I soaked this thing in Acetone. Cleaned the mess out of it. With this being PMD one thing is confusing me. The L I in Liberty is over whatever is going on up 900-1100 position. The deal with his face my fingernail will grab as I pull across it, the line. Same with the area up in L I. Fingernail grabs it. Anyway figured some might like to see it after soaking. Even as PMD it's unique and makes me wonder what in the world made that design up at LI.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2515 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2021  09:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Unfortunately, with all the definite circulation damage on this one that is going to hold a lot of sway on how this coin got this way.

I see this coin as having laid face down in some sort of caustic substance that dissolved the surface in that long "hourglass" shape. As the substance dried the corrosive ability dissipated. Notice how it seems to affect the high points of the bust from top to bottom.
Words of encouragement are one of the major food groups. We need to consume them regularly to thrive and grow.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1706 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2021  10:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have no clue with this one, a lot of circulation wear and damage. Though it look Kool to me like phantom of the opera mask. Don't know if there is any error on the coin though looks like corrosion as Petespockets55 said.
Valued Member
United States
83 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2021  10:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DACWG183 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks guys. Yeah. PMD or not I am going to hang on to it. It's cool to look at and wonder. If It only could talk
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 404Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.35 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05