Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Crown Etiquette Anyone?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 278Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

Australia
852 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2021  03:02 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
OK, this dumbo here is used to Australian modern coinage where all coins are given a portrait upgrade of HRM in a single year. Was recently googling a 1889 penny with a crownless Victoria and noticed that crowns, shillings etc of the same period had a crowned Victoria. I assume the UK upgrades the portrait in a given year like we do in Oz so when did this change? Also, was there some form of etiquette such as no crown on lower denominations and crown on higher ones? Did this apply to all commonwealth coinage (i.e. from countries outside the UK?). I sometimes think that I'm a cat re-incarnate.
Edited by David Graham
09/20/2021 03:04 am
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
681 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2021  04:11 am  Show Profile   Check PaddyB's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Generally in the UK we do upgrade all the portraits on our coins in the same year, although recently there have been two portraits on some coins in the same year, giving another excuse to collect!

The situation with your 1889 is different. The intention was to change all the coinage from the Young Head/Bun Head series to the Jubilee head in the same year - 1887 - to celebrate the Queen's Golden Jubilee. The Silver all went ahead, but the Bronze did not and instead happened in 1894. The story, possibly apocryphal, is that the Queen did not like the new design, but this was realised too late to change the plans for the silver. She vetoed the Bronze design and so it was a few years before the later design, Veiled Head, came in.
Generally there were many variations even under the nominally same bust design even before this, and of course the Gothic Florin had an entirely different form.

As to the Commonwealth, many larger countries had their own designs which varied enormously from the British versions. Even then, much of the Commonwealth coinage was struck in London, and may well have been designed there, well into the 20th century. India, Canada and Cyprus show some substantially different and interesting designs.

There was no link between the Crown on some coins and its valuation.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
852 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2021  4:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the info PaddyB.
Regarding 2 designs in 1 year, the same thing happened with our 2019 coinage. I suspect the number of LCT coins that year was a new record for any country.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1851 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2021  06:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mr T to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think that dominions/self governing colonies were permitted to use uncrowned portraits from the 1930s onwards and before that only the coins of Great Britain had uncrowned portraits (except for Edward VII British Indian coins for some reason).
  Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 278Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05