Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1892 Columbian Expo Half Dollar With DDR?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 270Next Topic  
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2021  11:16 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add quentinoregon to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have an 1892 and 1893 Columbian Expo Half Dollar. Both show strong signs of doubling on the reverse. The only varieties that I find on NGC Variety plus are double dates and over stamped dates. Please help me.
Are these varieties defined? Please share any info you have. Do I have something special? Thank you.

United States
4 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2021  11:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add quentinoregon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pics using my microscope

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7267 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2021  06:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To my eye this appears to be Machine Doubling, also known as Strike Doubling. The 'flat and shelf-like' appearance of the additional material is a key indicator.

There is generally no price premium for machine doubled coins.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19078 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2021  08:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have to agree with nickelsearcher, but
the doubling does make this coin a bit more interesting, and worth noting on a 2x2, and more saleable versus a similar coin without doubling.
Pillar of the Community
United States
581 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2021  10:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter4 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely MD
Elliot Mitchell
Experienced coin roll hunter with 5+ years in the hobby
My Registry Type Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/334324/
My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/408555
ANA # 3204217
CONECA # Y-6505
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11307 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2021  10:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Probably want to get it into a new 2x2 or at least get rid of that rusty staple.
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2021  4:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add quentinoregon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Help me understand Machine Doubling.

Is Machine Doubling going to be a one off? For example, I have 2 1893 Columbian Halves with the same Machine Doubling. Does that make it a variety?

Are doubled varieties listed on NGC Variety Plus NOT Machine Doubling? Isn't a DDR or DDO just Machine Doubling?

Thanks
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6524 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2021  6:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's good article on the NGC site that explains things well. (Note: it uses the term "Mechanical Doubling" vs. "Machine Doubling" but the two terms describe the same thing.)

https://www.NGCcoin.com/news/articl...ne-Doubling/

Quote:
Is Machine Doubling going to be a one off?

Multiple coins with the same diagnostics can be struck with machine doubling.

Quote:
Are doubled varieties listed on NGC Variety Plus NOT machine doubling? Isn't a DDR or DDO just machine
doubling?

No. The linked article explains the difference.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Edited by commems
09/26/2021 6:28 pm
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2021  10:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add quentinoregon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Commems!! Upon reading the article all I could think of is DUH!!. It very clearly defines the difference. However still seems difficult to identify the difference.
Learn More...
United States
104611 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6524 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2021  10:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
However still seems difficult to identify the difference.

It can definitely be tricky. You will find that it gets easier after seeing more examples of each type of doubling.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 270Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05