Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

VAM Surprise - Pics Now In!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
2761 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2009  1:08 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add SeatedNut to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I just picked up a gorgeous 1880-P in a PCGS 65 holder that I got just for the toning. I put it under the 10x and nothing jumped out at first. Then I saw some die chips in the middle of the right wing. I started going through listings at VAMWorld and finally saw this diagnostic when I hit #25. It's a "Hit List 40" coin that has a 0/9 overdate. I closely checked out the 0 and Holly Crud there it was ... a 9 underneath that 0. Then I saw 25A that has an N clash on the obverse and overpolishing in the hair V. Yup, this is a 25A. I don't know what the population is for this VAM. PCGS doesn't attribute Hit List 40 coins (yet) so the Pop reports don't have it and there have been no recent sales. The VAMWorld page lists 2 VAM 25 coins ( PCGS 64 and NGC 64) and none are listed for 25A. This is not helping my addiction.

0/9 Overdate

Die chip on chin

Die chips on wing

Overpolished Hair V/Clashed U

SuperDave: The Hitlist 40 designation is for both the 25 and 25A. It isn't listed on the 1880 page, but if you click on 25A it's on the top of the page.
Edited by SeatedNut
01/15/2009 5:39 pm
Learn More...
United States
23520 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2009  4:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pics or it ain't real.

Nice score. I note for some reason the 25A isn't listed as a Hit List 40 along with its' parent - you might want to ask a clarifying question at VAMworld.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1013 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2009  5:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nuggethill to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice one SeatedNut could you post a few photo's of it thanks
Pillar of the Community
United States
1219 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2009  5:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MorgansRmine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice pick up. True, sub varieties get the same Hit List 40 classification as the parent.
Learn More...
United States
23520 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2009  10:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I gotta quit posting here before I drink my coffee.

These third shifts are killin' me.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.56 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05