Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is An NGC Star Worth Over 10k?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 308Next Topic  
United States
27 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2021  6:39 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add OldSilverDollar to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I contacted this seller for details they told me they believe the coin is worth over 10K becouse it has a Star. Coin is a common date, no Vams and I've seen PL Star on some Peace dollars that went for less. I have a 1923 Peace dollar MS65+ it's worth about $200 but if NGC added a star it's worth 10K?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265333173039
Edited by OldSilverDollar
09/29/2021 6:40 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
62686 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2021  6:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it's just $3K he's asking, not $10K, but even that price is just comical. I'd like to hear NGC's verbal definition of the distinction between a 65+* and a 66.
Edited by Coinfrog
09/29/2021 6:52 pm
United States
27 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2021  6:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add OldSilverDollar to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Coinfrog It's an auction starting bid the seller did offer a buy it now at $10,000 to me. it seems comical I agree but is he serious? or maybe something I'm not taking in consideration. It does not have a CAC sticker to justify the price.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
62686 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2021  6:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Got it, thanks. Seller is fishing for a wealthy noob. It's the thing I hate most about eBay.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4196 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2021  9:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Doesn't seem worthy of a star, but rather a turd. Real value probably $100-150 in my opinion.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4999 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2021  9:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I thought PCGS issued plus (+) to grades/coins and NGC stars (). Never seen a coin before..Also can't see this coin going for anything near the starting bid...Seller is really fishing.

So Jimbucks...I can't tell from your response, do you like or love this coin?...
I'm by no means a pro and will never claim to be...just my 2 cents
A smile costs nothing to give or receive....GF
If it's not hockey, it's not a sport
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
436 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2021  10:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hokiefan_82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The NGC star designation has absolutely nothing to do with grade, only their opinion that the coin has exceptional eye appeal. So, in this particular case, it just indicates they felt this coin was more attractive than a typical MS65+ 1923 Peace dollar. Worth a small premium over a MS65+ without a star? Maybe, maybe not - beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Definitely not thousands of dollars, however...

From the NGC link shown below:
" NGC defines its star designated coins as those that have exceptional eye appeal. The coin itself could fall anywhere within the grade it is assigned, i.e.: if it were an MS 64 it could be at the lower end, mid-range or higher end of that grade."

https://www.NGCcoin.com/news/article/806/
Edited by hokiefan_82
09/29/2021 10:42 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
62686 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2021  10:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So, is the NGC Star designation similar to the PCGS Shield designation?
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
436 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2021  10:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hokiefan_82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@coinfrog - I believe the PCGS Gold Shield is just an added level of security.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
854 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2021  10:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numis-Northerner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My guess is they're just hoping for a tone collector.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4999 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2021  11:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@hokiefan_82 thanks for clearing up the NGC designation for me, now what about the on PCGS and NGC slabs? Is that just that the coin falls short of the next grade? Although I've never before seen a on a NGC slab......Thanks again the the lesson...
I'm by no means a pro and will never claim to be...just my 2 cents
A smile costs nothing to give or receive....GF
If it's not hockey, it's not a sport
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
436 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2021  12:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hokiefan_82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For NGC, the + designates a coin in the high-end of the assigned grade with above-average eye appeal, and as they describe, "close" to the next grade. For PCGS, the + designates a coin in the top 30% of the grade and exhibiting exceptional eye appeal. So, just slightly different definitions of the + designations between the two services.

I believe both PCGS and NGC started using the + designation around 2010 or so. For NGC, they started using the star designation around 2000 for only certain grades and types of coins, but have continued to expand the usage over the years.

By the way, glancing at my inventory, my plus-designated coins are pretty evenly split between PCGS and NGC.
Edited by hokiefan_82
09/30/2021 01:12 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 308Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.5 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: