Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Can Gold Plating Be Removed Without Damage To The Coin?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 380Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
396 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2021  08:20 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add fplagge to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have an Eisenhower dollar which contains the remnants of gold plating, which I would like to remove.

Would Acetone or some other solvent safely remove the plating?
United States
27 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2021  09:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add OldSilverDollar to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I could be wrong but the only way to get it off would require rubbing(friction) that would ruin the surface of the coin if not already. most electroplating involves dipping in a solution of liquid with gold particles suspended in the fluid when the electricity is turned on the gold particles attach and bond with the metal surface of the coin on the molecular level.

You can try dipping it in a coin dip like EZEst or MS70 but you could give it a bath in Acetone in an empty pickle jar for 3 to 5 days turning daily then rinse with distilled water and dry with blowdryer on high while shaking coin gently.

You can buy Acetone in hardware section of Walmart about $6
Learn More...
United States
106425 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2021  11:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Acetone should remove gold paint, but got plating is not something I would attempt to remove. I would just keep it as is for fun. If you need the coin for a set, there are plenty more out there.
Pillar of the Community
United States
560 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2021  2:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KauaiHawaiiGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Unless it's a particularly rare Eisenhower dollar, what would be the point? Common Eisenhower dollars can be had in clad business strike, silver or even silver proof $1 to about $15 on eBay all day long. If it is rare, trying to remove the gold plating would only make it worth even less than it probably is already. Keep it as a pocket coin and bring it out and show it off now and then to folks that have never seen an Eisenhower dollar, especially a gold one.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
187 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2021  2:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Blind Squirrel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The only way I know to remove gold plating is to melt it or scrub it off. Wouldn't recommend either.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20474 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2021  9:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How do you know it's Gold plating. Might be Brass or something else.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5138 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2021  10:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree with other responses.

No solvent will remove gold.

And why would you throw gold down the drain?
Learn More...
United States
106425 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17555 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2021  05:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The gold plating can be removed the same way it is applied, by electroplating, you simply reverse the polarity and the gold comes off of the item instead of being applied to it. The problem is that metal atoms of the copper and nickel will also be removed from the coin as well so the coin will be damaged some by the process.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United States
8534 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2021  3:32 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Conder101 beat me to the punch. Most likely gold is put on using an electrolysis procedure, all that is needed is to reverse the procedure. However it will never quite be the same, some damage might occur or plating may remain.

I had a boss that really disliked gold hardware on his guitars and things. Was at a music shop, primarily selling guitars. So one week he was gone off to the annual NAMM show and one of the guys got a hold of an electroplating set up and we proceeded to gold plate every thing we possibly could in his office. Stapler, scissors, all his paperclips, staples, pens, etc. Looked great, he hated it too, but was equally impressed on just how much we accomplished to gold plate while he was away.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Edited by westcoin
10/05/2021 3:33 pm
Learn More...
United States
106425 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 380Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: