Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2014 Roosevelt Dime With Smooth Edge

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 466Next Topic  

United States
22 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2021  4:07 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add tickettorideman to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello team.. I do not have the knowledge of coins like all you do, so I am seeking some help. I have a couple coins in which I need to identify as errors or just plain something else. The dime has a very smooth and high edge to it. Has this been modified to seem that it is an error or is it in fact an error? The second is a quarter with basically the same issue. It has raised edge around it as well. No smooth edge though.
Good? Worthless?

*** Edited by Staff to clarify topic title. Titles are important! ***

Pillar of the Community
Canada
3660 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2021  4:15 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
if the reeded edge is gone, then your coins have either been spooned or spent some time in a dryer..
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
13251 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2021  4:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Take the dime out of the 2x2 and check diameter with a regular coin.
If the diameter is smaller, then it is what is known as a dryer coin.
This is damage, not an error.
For the quarter, take out of the 2x2 and supply a clear photo of both sides.
Also check this for diameter.
Edited by JimmyD
10/04/2021 4:34 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
6779 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2021  5:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree with the above.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
64379 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2021  5:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree, dryer coins.

to the CCF!
United States
22 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2021  5:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tickettorideman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello and thank you. I am only allowed to send a 300kb photo so it will not be that great. Will the dryer effect also create the larger width of the coin and as you can see it also gives the lettering at the bottom of the coin an upswing look to the letters. Sorry if I am not explaining that right.

United States
22 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2021  5:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tickettorideman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The quarter seems to have the exact same issue. Most likely is the dryer coin. If I may, how does that effect the thickness of the coin?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
13251 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2021  5:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Put the dime aside, we know it is a dryer coin.
Take a full shot of both sides of the quarter. It is hard to tell when you are
only looking at parts of a coin. The "upswing" may be caused by a ridge ring.
Also check the circumference with another quarter, not sure if this is a dryer coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
570 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2021  5:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cujohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
With no damage to the surface just the edge, I'm thinking spooned. We use to do it back in the 70s in high school, to see how small we could go. If you hit them enough you could get them down almost to the diamater of a pencil. And some people made rings by spooning coins.
United States
22 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2021  11:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tickettorideman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
here is the quarter.. it is a smooth edge also so I am guessing dryer but I have a question - - will the dryer affect or create the high ridge? sorry they are blurry but the high edge is quite visible

Pillar of the Community
United States
8202 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2021  5:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you know the photos are blurry, please don't send them to us. I feel both coins are dryer coins. Regardless how or what, both are post mint damage. Damage is damage however created.
ša va bien aller

Pillar of the Community
United States
570 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2021  7:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cujohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
See my answer above. Try it for yourself.
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 466Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: