Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1793 1c Chain Cent Ameri. - Sheldon 1

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 112 / Views: 4,581Next Topic
Page: of 8
Pillar of the Community
United States
8527 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2021  12:46 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I made a deal to acquire two coins - this is the first one.

This is the Sheldon-1, the coin designed and engraved by Henry Voight and produced by the first die pair for the first coin minted for circulation by the U.S. Mint.

According to Gordon Wrubel, chain cents were the first mass produced, regular issue coins stuck at the US Mint. The first Chain cents struck are considered to be the AMERI. variety, Sheldon 1. On the first working die, the engraver failed to allow adequate room for the entire inscription, and it had to be abbreviated to "UNITED STATES OF AMERI.". These early dies were cut by hand, rather than being made from master hubs as is the practice today. The edge of these coins is decorated with bars and vines with leaves.

A total of 36,103 were coined from February 27 to March 12, 1793. Struck for about two weeks from late February until early March 1793, only about 1,000 coins are known to exist today.

The public reaction to the coins was largely unfavorable. One newspaper criticized the appearance of the Liberty head, saying that it appeared to be "in a fright". And, while the reverse chain had been intended to symbolize the unity of the newly formed Union, many commentators instead interpreted it as representative of slavery. By March, the Mint had run out of planchets, which temporarily halted striking. During this time, a new design - the Wreath cent - was quickly prepared and approved.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
64338 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2021  1:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A remarkable specimen, congratulations.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5424 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2021  1:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
An excellent coin and a beautiful example. You've been posting some REALLY top notch coins lately, congrats!

-CH27
Collector of U.S. Varieties and Colonial Coinage
Pillar of the Community
United States
976 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2021  1:16 pm  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Extremely nice! This is a bucket list coin for me! A lot of history and education found in a single coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8527 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2021  1:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
This is a bucket list coin for me!

Me too. Any thoughts on grade? Thanks to all!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2739 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2021  1:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jerryc39 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
very impressive! Your buys lately have been otherworldly. You have more $ in coins than most people have in their retirement accounts.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2449 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2021  3:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nfine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Spectacular example, NS. Can't wait to see the second coin secured in that deal.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
504 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2021  3:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hokiefan_82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice chain cent! Like some of your other coins you've recently posted, this one is high up on my want list but not in that grade! Congrats once again!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3286 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2021  4:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will take a guess at grade 45/50. Another amazing example.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7453 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2021  4:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Outstanding coin and a true piece of American coinage history. You have been showing us some really spectacular coins lately - can't wait to view the second coin you referred to.

I'm going to venture a grading guess based on general numismatic knowledge and certainly not of the series at PCGS VF35

Question for the coin history folks ... why are there 15 chain links on the reverse? I understand the chains represent the unity of the new union - but there were only 13 original states. Why 15 links?
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8527 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2021  4:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In 1793 there were 15 States in the Union.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8527 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2021  4:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
#14 Vermont joined on March 4, 1791
#15 Kentucky joined on June 1, 1792

#16 Tennessee joined on June 1, 1796
All other states joined in the 19th and 20th centuries.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6215 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2021  4:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll take a stab at a straight grade of VF30. Wonderful coin no matter what it grades!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3556 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
8527 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2021  5:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As a point of comparison, these are images of the last PCGS VF30 1793 Chain cent Sheldon 1 sold at auction.
https://coins.ha.com/itm/large-cent...ot=1&x=0&y=0

Edited by numismatic student
10/05/2021 5:39 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
8527 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2021  5:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And these are the photograde plates for the VF30 1793 Chain Cent: https://www.PCGS.com/photograde/#/ChainCent/Grades

Edited by numismatic student
10/05/2021 5:37 pm
Page: of 8 Previous TopicReplies: 112 / Views: 4,581Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.44 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: